Some more MIDIpal features to try

• New “polyphony” setting in the dispatcher app. For example, if you want to distribute 8 voices of polyphony to two 4-voice synths, set num to 8 and pol to 4. Instead of having the notes of your chords routed to channels 1 to 8 ; you’ll have notes dispatched to channels 1 and 2.
  • New “as played” and “chord” modes in the arpeggiator. The “chord” mode repeats rhythmically whichever keys are pressed.
  • New “cln” setting, aka “clock note” in the settings.

More about the “Notes as clocks” thing…

Mode 1:

1. Make sure that your controller/sequencer/drum machine is not sending MIDI clock messages.
  2. Go to the settings app and select the MIDI channel (setting called “clc” for “clock channel”) from which note messages will be interpreted as clock messages. Set the “cln” setting (“clock note”) to off.
  3. Select the clock resolution: by how many ticks each note will move the clock forward.
  4. Go back to the application you want to control with note messages (sequencer, arpeggiator…).
  5. Select the ‘ext’ clock source.
  6. Repeatedly play a note on the selected channel to start and advance the clock.
  7. Play any other note on the selected channel to stop and reset the clock.

Mode 2:

1. Make sure that your controller/sequencer/drum machine is not sending MIDI clock messages.
  2. Go to the settings app and select a MIDI channel (“clc”, “clock channel”) and a MIDI note (“cln”, “clock note”).
  3. Select the clock resolution: by how many ticks each note will move the clock forward.
  4. Go back to the application you want to control with note messages (sequencer, arpeggiator…).
  5. Select the ‘ext’ clock source.
  6. Every time the selected note is received on the selected channel, the clock is started (unless it was already running…) and stepped by the selected resolution.
  7. You will have to manually stop the sequencer/arpeggiator.

wow, sounds great, especially the cln thing!
not sure when i will be able to try it out - hopefully some time this coming sunday.

just from reading your description:

> Make sure that your controller/sequencer/drum machine is not sending MIDI clock messages.

i hope this is only for while you change those settings? or doesn’t the clock note thing work at all while there is a midi clock signal present?

> Select the clock resolution: by how many ticks each note will move the clock forward.

what is a ‘tick’ in this case? a 1/96 note?

The clock note thing does not work when there is a MIDI clock.

This is because it requires all apps to have their internal clock disabled, and the way to do that is to set them to ext.

hmmm, tricky.
i suppose, this calls for a second midipal as a midi clock filter.

or could that possibly implemented in this system setting?
i.e. when ‘cln’ is selected, all incoming midi clock messages are filtered out automatically?

(banging my head on the desk)

Can’t you just tell your master to not send any clock messages?

Also there’s only a dozen bytes left in the firmware. So MIDIpal firmware development will be over after this.

I might be able to help you with the head on the desk thing

@pichenettes: i guess it depends on the context (not the headbanging, but the master clock situation), what gear you’re using and how it handles midi clock. i must confess i simply don’t know how it works with what machine, because i never had this situation before. e.g. when i sync my tr8 to a master clock from my daw, and use the tr8’s rimshot (or whatever) note to note-clock the midipal - will i be able to prevent the tr8 from transmitting the clock signals it syncs itself to from its midi output? perhaps by disabling soft-thru? not sure, i just never tried this before. there will probably ways to make it work.

i will try and let you know how it goes…

and i was going to get a second midipal, anyway. :slight_smile:

Disablind soft-thru should indeed prevent it from sending the master clock directly to the midi out port, but it seems unlikely that it would stop the machine from transmitting its own clock over the midi out, thereby negating the usefulness of disabling soft-thru(in this case).

Check the manual for methods of sending sync signals, and disabling them… :slight_smile:

well, with the tr8, the ‘manual’ is a bit of a joke, i’m afraid.
but i’ll experiment with both my tr8 and tr505 trying to trigger the midipal in note clock mode, trying not to send any actual clock signals.
but it may get complicated - especially in live situations where the tr8 would normally lend itself to being used as a master clock.
so yes, second midipal it will be, i guess…

This is cool as, glad i havent updated yet, gunna get on this tomorrow.

One midi question tho,
> Make sure that your controller/sequencer/drum machine is not sending MIDI clock messages.

I have the Octatrack OUT to the Machinedrum IN.
Machinedrum OUT to drum gear.
Machinedrum THRU to synths.

If i turn off clock send on the MD will the Midipal be ok on the OUT? As im guessing that the Octatrack clock will be sent to THRU.

Cheers. (Also where can I make a donation)

The machinedrum THRU is probably a low-level THRU, so it spits exactly what it gets on the IN.

^ignore, just tried my x0x on the MD OUT with clock off. Works as needed for the Midipal.

Might put two Midipals on the out then get a merger for after so it connects back to my main stream of synths. (I hate un/plugging)

i haven’t had a chance to update my midipal yet, but i managed to squeeze in some preliminary tests on to how the tr8 and the tr505 (being the only two drum machines i currently have ready) handle midi clock.

tr8:

• when operating with its internal clock, the tr8 always transmits midi clock signals (as you would expect). so while using its internal clock, the tr8 won’t work with the clock note thing in the midipal fw version posted above. (unless you use a second midipal to filter out all those clock signals, that is)

• however, if you disable midi soft thru and sync the tr8 to an external clock, there are no clock ticks present on the tr8’s midi out. so in this configuration, the tr8 should work well with the clock note thing.
    but you need an external clock source to sync your tr8 to - like a second midipal. :slight_smile:

tr505:

• i couldn’t find any way of preventing the tr505 from sending midi clock signals. when operating with its internal clock, it transimits its internal clock ticks. when synced to an external clock, those external clock ticks are also present on its midi output. so it looks like the note clock thing from the midipal version from this thread won’t work with a tr505. (again, unless you use a second midipal to filter out all those clock ticks)

• however, the tr505 is extremely versatile in how it handles midi notes: for each individual drum sound/track you can freely set which note it transmits, and on which channel! this should make the tr505 a perfect match for the clock note implementation in the earlier experimental fw version from this one-year-old thread - in which, if i understand it correctly, the sequencer app just completely ignores any midi clock signals and simply syncs to either note 96 on the selected channel or to any note on channel 16. [edit: this i wrong - see pichenettes’ comment below]

so in theory at least, it’s either tr8 + external clock source + midipal with this new fw version, or tr505 (internal or external clock) + older, experimental firmware version.

i will try to verify this in the coming days.

Or chaining them like this TR8+external clock source> Midipal(updated)>TR 505?

uhm, sure, but why would i need both drum machines at a time?
my concern here is about how best to trigger the midipal’s 101 sequencer from one of the drum machines’ drum tracks, 808/101 style.

of course, you can still hook up all kinds of other gear apart from that… :slight_smile:

The early firmware doesn’t tolerate MIDI clocks signals too.

oh. i see.
well then i’m afraid the good old tr505 is out.
(as a ‘clock note’/101 trigger source for the midipal, i mean)
((but it makes for a good external clock source for the tr8 - so that’s cool))
(((oh, and it certainly narrows down the options i’ll have to try out - i’m sure i’ll be able to test this soon)))

ok, i gave it a try.
and it works!
and it’s great fun!

here is the setup i used for this little experiment:
tr505 (master clock)
tr8 (drum machine and mixer/amp for the synth)
midipal v1.4a (sequencer being note clocked by the ‘ride cymbal’ track of tr8)
bass station (being sequenced by midipal, output into tr8 external input)
midiman 2x2 merge box (because the midipal only has one midi input)

here are two short clips for demonstration (no effects, no eq, no nothing, just the tr8’s output straight into a little portable zoom recorder):

midipal note clock clip 1
midipal note clock clip 2

it would be slightly more convenient if you could just run the tr8 on its internal clock and didn’t need an external clock to shield the midipal from clock signals. but still, great app, exellent new function!

there does seem to be a bug, though: the sequencer is supposed to store its sequence, isn’t it? but it doesn’t. when i power off the midipal or change to a different app and then go back to the sequencer app, the sequence i had recorded is gone. or is it supposed to be like this?

hey wait, now even the saving of the sequence is working!
no idea what was wrong earlier - i’m sure i had an empty or garbled sequence several times.
but now it seems to be working just fine. :slight_smile:
(maybe time to change my midipal’s battery?)

so anyway, brilliant new fw version, i can only recommend it.