So come up to the lab / and see what's on the slab / I see you shiver with antici

I posted this on muff

Assuming I resume work on it and finish in Jan and Feb, there are 2 or 3 months for testing, 2 or 3 for pre-production run, 3 for fcc/ce, 2 or 3 for mass production.

Releasing an original module is more complicated than cloning a « proven » design…

Thanks for the reply - I’m curious to know why you might not resume work on it (and how likely that is!)?

Because I have other things to do. It’s not that I will ditch the module, I might just get back to it… later.

It’s all good - I just wanted a bit of clarity, as your post was a little cryptic; if you were leaning towards not releasing a new model, then I’d happily buy a MK1 instead, as I’ve never owned one (I’m only recently into Eurorack, and thought it sensible to wait for the revised module). But I’ve got plenty of learning to do, so I’m happy to wait for however long it takes. Best Wishes, and Joyeux Noel!

If you have become interested in the things that Clouds do, I would advice to get one, without worrying about how close or far away a successor is.
Firstly, it’s a great module, that is both loved and discussed for it’s uniqueness. And the successor is not going to be a Clouds with slightly improved gain circuits and direct access to a few parameters, but likely a much different approach to the same core ideas. Just like Plaits is really not a Braids II.
Secondly, NOW is the time to get a Clouds if you want to watch all the tutorials and read all the forum posts you could dream about of tutorials and tips and tricks.

@bigmiff That’s the real answer. Don’t wait to enjoy clouds :slight_smile:

My number one reason to avoid MI clones: not one of them has shown any willingness to provide aftermarket support. If they did, they never end up here!

Good point! Fortunately there are lots of official clouds available used that are looking for a new home.

So the picture of 10 oct 2018 on instagram… Was it the new Tides or is it something different. It’s a analogue part right?

It’s something different.

Hey people? You remember when I could design something and get 100 units of it on the Mutable Instruments online store 3 months after?

I can no longer do that and it sucks.

Initial batches are now 1000 units – which means that it’s way too much work to correct any mistake in the firmware or hardware after launch – which means I have to get everything right the first time, which means more time testing, testing, testing. I don’t even know how I’m going to do for “Clouds 2”, given that the initial demand exceeds 5000 modules. Any mistake on that one and poof, I go bankrupt.

FCC/CE tests take 6 to 9 months, all decent labs surrounding Paris having been bought by a gigantic, moronic, overbooked entity whose name I won’t mention but which I strongly associate with puke.

So whenever something is prototyped and working… it still takes more than a year to get launched.

I’m having doubts as to whether my focus on quality and playing by the rules is really paying off or is a gigantic millstone around my neck. Makes me very jealous of all the small brands (including the µCloners) who don’t care that much and do their releases punk rock style.

you should create another brand and go full punck rock with small batches.

It’s certainly an idea that regularly nags me :slight_smile:

“disposable instruments”?

In many cases, they’re only able to do that because someone else (ie You) has done all the hard work of testing the original designs.

Seems like such a catch-22. I assume that high demand and sales is somewhat proportional to financial and time related freedom to develop and bin ideas, without feeling forced to push them through the pipeline, but then pushin a thing through a pipeline for 1.5 or 2 years must also be incredibly tiring, when you are a person with alot of ideas, and maybe prefers to think and create.
Are there parts of the “professionalization” of MI that have obvious upsides, that would be hard to dial back from?

Frankly no. I would be happy operating at half the current volume, I even considered increasing the prices of Marbles and Plaits to get there.

Why not do initial 100 module release for preorders, ship them to people who will extensively use the module, if its alright -> full blown mutable instruments cartel worldwide incorporated mass production.
Id for sure sign up for some post-beta testing

That’s more or less what I’m already doing, with a “preview” batch of 20 to 30 (no need for more, I’ve found that very, very few people are able to extensively use and test modules).

It takes 6 to 8 weeks between the initial order and this preview batch (mostly to manufacture the tooling – the parts are bought in short circuits like Mouser).

Once these first are made, and validated, it can take up to 3 months to get the rest mass-manufactured, mostly because the parts need to be bought in quantities (or at prices) that make Mouser or Farnell an inadequate choice.

So do smaller batches and no open source until later batches have returned initial cost plus revenue.
Who cares if everyone gets a module the first time around? I mean sure id like a clouds 2 (or pretty much anything you make) but its not like i need it to make music.
Being generous (open sourcing) and trying to make sure everyone is happy is great but personally, id always look out for my personal happiness first.
So if “playing by the rules” becomes a cross to bear rather than a joy, dont do it.
Just my opinion on the matter

Didn’t expect such a long reaction with new roadblocks on the road. 5000 eurorack modules sound insane to me. I hope you will find a new way in production that is less “nagging”. I especialy find it frustrating seeing that you have a’lot of trouble releasing something and on the other side seeing the “mass” production of mutable clones.