So come up to the lab / and see what's on the slab / I see you shiver with antici

Well, I posted here a few hours ago about Stages, just correcting some of the speculation in this thread about how the orange mode worked, and a few other details which we had wrong, based on the information about Stages that was erroneously leaked by a third party earlier today - it being Friday 13th, after all. However, the post seems to have been hidden or nixed by Olivier, which is fine, it’s neither here nor there. Suffice to say that, now we know more of the details of how Stages works, it’s a very neat solution to implementing as general a set of envelope/LFO/other functions as possible with as simple an interface as possible. One of the lessons for other designers is, I think: “Jacks are also switches”.

i think it’s official now…

sad on the other side because of the leak (friday the 13th???:scream:)
happy on the other side because i think Olivier and the Mutables did a great great job :bowing_man::bowing_man:

thank you :raised_hands:

A short “behind the scenes” explanation…

For Plaits and Marbles the allocation process was “first come first served” and it didn’t go well. In a way it gives an advantage to dealers who are very involved in the Eurorack scene and decide fast (good), but it’s unfair to, for a example, a single person who runs their shop and happens to have taken a holiday during the release.

This time I decided to notify dealers in advance, tally their orders, and ship proportionally to what they had ordered. Having the module on synthtopia and seeing it discussed on forums gave an edge to the dealers who hadn’t sent me their reservations yet. Having this allocation process disturbed in such a way is not a good thing at all.

And of course the fun of unveiling it is a reward I didn’t get to enjoy this time :frowning:

I think its quite disappointing that someone would leak it like that.
I dont know about you but id probably refrain from doing further business with the person responsible.

All that said, i think the concept behind this module is brilliant.
The thing that kept me from buying a complex envelope for a long time is the fact that you dont always want such elaborate shapes so the mofule sits idle now and then. Being able to split it up and patch it to exactly the degree of complexity i require is such an asset.
Youre really outdoing yourself with the recent releases Olivier, theyre more modular and open ended than some of the previous modules and i am enjoying them very much. Youre to me the most promising instrument designer in the eurorack game and probably in the synth market in general.
Btw props to Hannes of Papernoise for the wonderful panel designs on the recent modules. The all-white knobs give them a laidback and clean feel while the colored labels and cute graphics keep a slightly playful and friendly character.
I particularly love the labelling on marbles, its so immediately clear what does what ive honestly only had to consult the manual once or twice so far, great interface design!

Oliver,
Sorry to hear that this was leaked ahead of your wishes. That said, stages is an absolutely gorgeous module! While plaits has been very tempting I haven’t pulled the trigger because I’m not sure what I would pull out of my small system (it also helps that its out of stock everywhere) but after going through the manual, I am looking at my case to see what can come out to fit two stages… it might just be time to make a new control skiff…

Yes, a real shame about the leak. It does look like a wonderful module, though.

Congrats on the module, it’s really fantastic, I want to get two of them when I get a new case. Although we all here love to speculate and gossip about new modules and want to know so much as quickly as possible, hearing that it was leaked before your intended release sucks. I love your method of announcing something and it already being either with or on it’s way to new dealers, but I concur what has been said above; If a dealer/beta tester leaked something they should not have, they should put at the back of the queue for future dealings. Disrupting a carefully planned/timed release of a product is not cool.

again, congratulations though. I think this may be my favourite of the new 3, I can’t wait to get my hands on a couple.

This means that we now have a few months to breathe before the next scheduled release, right?

:sweat_smile:

Yes. something unspectacular in 3-4 months, then hopefully the meaty things in December.

So pretty much a whole (non traditional) voice in 1 year! What’s gonna happen in the years to come :stuck_out_tongue:

Minor mechanical design question for Olivier re Stages: what made you decide to use mini pots at the top, thus requiring the two screws to secure the PCB, rather than pots with threaded collars and panel nuts, which would have obviated the need for the screws (which spoil the look slightly)? Not enough space? Assembly costs?

Also, are the ramp functions implanted via interpolated wavetables, as in Peaks and Braids, or are the transformations functions calculated on-the-fly now a FPU is presumably available in the MPU used?

See this picture: the green circle has the same radius as an M7 nut. The outer green circle has the same diameter as the smallest knob (PT1PS).

The panel would have needed to be at least 24 HP for knobs! For example, consider Clouds: 4 knobs on the bottom row already quite close to each other, and 18-HP wide already.

This turns out to be faster (no RAM lookup and interpolation needed).

OK, thanks. I was thinking of the very narrow slip-on knobs that Befaco uses with threaded pots, that have a smaller outside diameter than the collet nuts, as shown here (but maybe not in white…):

However, I can see that assembly would be difficult, with barely enough room for round collet nuts, and a special driver might be needed to tighten them. All additional cost.

Anyway, as it is the design leaves room for pimping with coloured anodised hex-head bolts etc.

OK, thanks. I’m really looking forward to leaving integer maths world behind.

So a few posts on the Mutable Instruments instagram feed recently, with of which presumably relate to the Clouds replacement (the second post explicitly does). Here is the first post:

The top two traces are clearly gates. It looks like the gates are being ORed together, but not in a binary fashion - the second gate appears to affect the density of the grains, or maybe triggers in the lower traces.

The second post is here:

Here is a screenshot:

What can we glean from the code?

• it’s writing a stereo wav file called labelled “clouds2_wavetable_voice.wav”, which is presumably what is playing
  • four separate wavetable voices instances are being initialised, panned across the stereo field, presumably, maybe with four different phase offsets too.
  • position, duration, shape and pitch parameters are all settable, including via CV
  • there’s a trigger generator
  • there’s a seed button
  • other commented out test methods for :
    • DelayLine
    • Grain
    • PanMatrix
    • GrainFade
    • MeanCrossingPolicies
    • TriggerGenerator
    • RandomizedParameter
    • GranularPlayer
    • MultitapDelay
    • RandomPanning
    • SubsampleTriggering
    • GranularProcessor
    • CloudsProcessor
    • CloudsProcessorDelay
    • CloudsProcessorTapeDelay
    • CloudsProcessorTapeDelayDensityModulation
    • WowAndFlutter
    • WavetableGrain

OK, that’s a lot of clues! Post your thoughts, I’ll post mine after I have thought about this a bit…

They would be the methods from the old Clouds.

Well it sounds fucking brilliant :smiley:

I’m just really happy to see something called “WowAndFlutter”. And I’m also noting a lack of reverb, which makes sense considering the previous comments about the Clouds design.

Really? I can’t see those methods in the source code for the existing Clouds. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?

Well, one thing is clear: Clouds2 (working title) will be, inter alia, a multi-oscillator granular oscillator, using wavetables as at least one source of the grains. So not just an “effects processor”, but a signal source in it’s own right. And with stereo outputs, and complex voice and/or grain panning across the stereo field. Whether it will be polyphonic remains to be seen - I suspect not, but you’ll be able to have several voices all playing the same notes, spread across the stereo stage. And with built-in multi-tap delays, tape delays with wow-and flutter etc. So a bit like a Synthesis Technologies E352, but with a lot more flair and style?

or I’m just reusing some infrastructure from clouds2’s codebase to test fun ideas? :slight_smile: