So come up to the lab / and see what's on the slab / I see you shiver with antici

I would be careful before accusing either Mutable Instruments or Thonk over being parasites of open source projects, since both have proven many times to stand for just the very contrary.
It happens way too often that people take advantage of open source projects, but this is certainly not the case here.

TheSlowGrowth was surely responding to my comment above, that even though the new module sold via Thonk won't be a DIY design, if it is released as open-source, in no time at all there'll be a lot of PCB and panels being made by third parties for DIY construction. I don't think thatTheSlowGrowth was in any way criticising Olivier, nor Tom Whitwell, nor Thonk.

I gather that the bonus toy to be included with the new module being sold through Thonk is a toothbrush. Tom and Olivier have been very busy testing each one, once in the morning and once before retiring to bed.

@BennelongBicyclist eww…

a|x

@BennelongBicyclist: oh I get it now. Well I agree that there is enough examples of such things happening lately and it’s a bit of a shame.

here we go

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ears/

Looks cool, fair price and I hope they sell like hot biscuits!

A mechanical question: how’s the strength in the bottom part given no rigid connections to the PCB? FR4 amirite?

ORDERED.

And such a cool pat on the back from Olivier to Thonk. Supporting sustainable DIY.

Just ordered mine!

From the photos, looks like 0402 sized passive components. Not easy to DIY by any means (but yeah, that’s not the point). A nice upgrade to the Mikrophonie.

@BennelongBicyclist thanks for clarifying it for me - it’s exactly how I meant it.

Re: Ears - The whole “shine led through PCB substrate”-thing seems to gain momentum since makenoise uses it so much. It’s a nice idea, though. And a cheap option to have lettering on top of the inidcator light.

Have a Mikrophonie, bought Ears, will keep both for the moment, and have to see their placement to use them in a rack without one interfering with the other.

> since makenoise uses it so much

Interestingly, I’m doing it with TH LEDs and was very surprised when I found out that MakeNoise does it with SMT LEDs…

> Interestingly, I’m doing it with TH LEDs and was very surprised when I found out that MakeNoise does it with SMT LEDs…

I like how they use big ares for some of the lighting-up parts of the interfaces. But for small areas, you would think it would be inefficient. But then again, mcd’s are cheaper than optics?

> Interestingly, I’m doing it with TH LEDs and was very surprised when I found out that MakeNoise does it with SMT LEDs…

I guess it depends on the surface you want to illuminate (= how far away should the led be for an even light distribution?). I always wondered how current consumption would be - I’d guess that you need quite a bit of mcd to make it shine through the substrate brightly. And even more, when the led is further away.

I can confirm Ears pairs excellently with Rings.

Still not 100% on name, but it’s a great module.

Looking forward to an MI/MT Turing Machine, similarly extended and expanded, obviously.

a|x

Advances in machine vision mean that Eyes can’t be far off – libraries like OpenCV run well on the most recent STM32 chips. But Noses may be quite a challenge, even for a French person in Paris.

> I’d guess that you need quite a bit of mcd to make it shine through the substrate brightly

You know what? It’s more difficult to find non-retina burning LEDs with diffused lenses (as used for pretty much all my modules except the first batch of Edges), than 10000mcd retina-burners with clear lenses.

The 3 LEDs used on Ears are rated above 2500mcd (10000mcd for the orange one!) and they suck at most 1mA of current. It’s actually better for current consumption to use those guys, even through a 1.6mm thick PCB, than diffused green or red LEDs that need 5mA or so to provide a good brightness.

Interesting! Thank you for those insights!

Slightly OT, but has anyone come across flat-topped 3mm diffused LEDs in blue?

They seem to be readily available in other colours, but not blue, for some reason…

a|x

In case you don’t find them. I’ve had success in sanding of the top of a round led. It will give you a look close to flat-topped diffused leds. I used a electric sander. It did the trick for some purple leds.