So come up to the lab / and see what's on the slab / I see you shiver with antici

I saw this “Mutable Music Things” teaser on the Facebook…

Presumably a joint venture of some kind? If not, then it is probably straying inadvertently into trademark infringement territory. Probably the former.

Right then, I’m calling that as the rings/elements ‘expansion’ and that it’s some sort of dedicated strumming type module with a contact mic and maybe some fins or similar to produce a series of triggers?

Remember the early toothbrush and mikrophonie demo for elements, something along those lines maybe?

I don’t think that’ll be Shapes though.

Musik thing modular and mutable instruments together? Return of MI to DIY?
A strummer?
Strums?

Is this a new mutable box out in the wild?

I’m liking the idea of a quad slope @erstlaub. Since Trails never happened, I’ve been heartbroken. :slight_smile:

erstlaub> Right then, I’m calling that as the rings/elements ‘expansion’ and that it’s some sort of dedicated strumming type module with a contact mic and maybe some fins or similar to produce a series of triggers? Remember the early toothbrush and mikrophonie demo for elements, something along those lines maybe?

That’s an excellent guess, I think. Ridges? Scratches? Noises? Scrapes?

Could it even be electromechanical, along the lines of the weird and wonderful Gieskes modules In other words, trigger able via gates and CVs?

About the joint venture, yes, quite likely given that Tom Whitwell of Music Thing Modular posted this some time ago…

If I had to guess, its the Rings/Elements companion module?

Given the 2014 Whitwell copyright, it is probably an evolution of the Music Thing Microphonie piezo module.

Maybe a version of the mikrophonie with stereo output?

You wouldn’t need a stereo signal to use as an exciter. But maybe some filter options, or an option to frequency divide the piezo sounds.

Or Radio Music re-imagined as an excitation source?

Microphonie with an envelope follower and trigger out?

But Radio Music is more of a looping sample player right? But if they put an inbuilt snappy envelope and vca on the output it could be awesome. Like the Vactrol emulation from Streams.

Monobass of Thonk:
"Mutable Instruments plus Music Thing Modular = Mutable Music Things

Eurorack module available Friday on Thonk.co.uk.

This is not a DIY product. "

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168185

From the image posted on the MI Facebook page, it appears to be a development of the Mikrophonie module. Relative size of rack mounting hole suggests 4HP, and the chord of a large circle above the logo is the same as the Mikrophonie, except in a different position on the panel. In fact, you can just see that the orange bit is in fact a semi-circular PCB track, just like the Mikrophonie.

But not DIY? Unless both Tom Whitwell and Olivier have abandoned their respective open-source policies for this joint project (unlikely), then it won’t be non-DIY for long…

sad to hear its not a DIY product. I was hoping for that, to be honest.

Mr Thonk has confirmed it will be open-source, thus unless it uses custom parts and/or 0402-sized passives (quite possible) or leadless grid array SMT chips (much less likely), it will therefore be DIYable. Even 0402 is doable by hand, I’ve found, but only just, and it isn’t fun.

I have just the spot for something like this! I used to own a Music Thing Mikrophonie and deeply regret letting it go.

There’s a difference between DIY-able and a proper DIY product. The latter brings money in the pockets of those who designed it. The former will always feel a little bit like a parasite - you use someone’s work without giving them anything for their efforts. And I know what I’m talking about.

This product brings money directly into the pockets of Olivier and Tom. Paid by me. I pay Tom royalties on all Music Thing products sold, other retailers choose not to.