So come up to the lab / and see what's on the slab / I see you shiver with antici

I suspect Edges suffers from the combination of being relatively large, and relatively limited, sonically.

a|x

pichenettes> A module with a focus on chords and organ/string sounds (and thus other waveforms than 1-bit or 5-bit stuff) would be a very different thing – I wouldn’t call it Edges…

Yes, fair enough. Actually, with MIDI, polyphony and (chord) arpeggiators, it would be more like knitting some Rings Easter eggs out of Yarns.

Here’s one experiment with chord sequencing - it combines the neo-Riemannian triad transformations pioneered in eurorack by the Noise Engineering Tonnetz Sequent module with @fcd72’s “Exfilnator” vector sequencer idea - except applied to neo-Riemannian transformations, not melody. Don’t judge it by the absolute non-musicality of this video, which is intended to demonstrate the visualisation of what it is doing on the OLED display, not it’s musical potential. That said, it’s musical potential, um, remains to be fully evaluated (in other words, it may be a dead-end).

https://youtu.be/xf-XSRlaZ9M

Here’s a slightly more musical track entirely auto-composed and played by the Automatonnetz (no chord or note sequences were set up or entered into the module at any stage, just a grid of chord transformations which the vector sequencer moved over, or rather, around, since it wraps in both x and y dimensions). Grids is used to trigger the notes in the triad, and thus not all of the three notes sound on each beat, which is vaguely cognate with Olivier’s idea of notes in a chord being rhythmically or cyclically added or removed):

https://soundcloud.com/bennelong-bicyclist/oh-tomato-nets

Removed inadvertent double post

No idea how much it would add to the price, but I kinda like what Roland did with those eurorack effect units in terms of form factor. It would be interesting to see this module using the same kind of desktop enclosed form factor with a wall-wart DC input and a MIDI input on the back.

If you do end up using MIDI on minijack, I vote that you adopt the Korg minijack MIDI standard.

@BennelongBicyclist: That second audio demo sounds like Adventure Time music. :slight_smile:

@t2k I assumed that was more a result of Roland bet-hedging.

a|x

How about mini-DIN for MIDI? It’s already been used for that by some, apparently, and avoids issue/confusion about plugging MIDI signals into non-MIDI sockets, etc.

a|x

@audiohoarder, really (not familiar with Aventure Time)? Gosh, maybe I can get it to do the soundtrack for the Blade Runner sequel next, all automatically?

>How about mini-DIN for MIDI?
Yeah, but TRS jacks are so much easier to buy. The dollar store carries them often, and I really wouldn’t mind replacing all MIDI cables with them. A one dollar cable vs a ten dollar cable to do the exact same thing, the cheaper one will always win.

>avoids confusion
Just put a nice patterned circle around the midi jack or something to make it visually unique.

@BennelongBicyclist: There are plenty of weird melody noodles throughout the show, and the timbers you used were spot on. If you can get the Blade Runner CS80 sound, I am sure you can get it to generate. :slight_smile:

The way I do it is:

These

With These

And an inch of this to make up the diameter

Altitude…those are nice cables. Still have mine even though I sold the monotribe.

>How about mini-DIN for MIDI?

Nope.

Well, that answers that one…

a|x

Olivier recently added support for the STM32F373 processor to his stmlib library, which is used by all the MI digital modules (or at least by all the ones with STM32 processors in them, which most of them). Thanks to @pld for pointing this out.

So what? Well, the STM32F373 processor is a Cortex M4, like the STM32F405 processors used in Clouds, Warps, Elements and Rings, but the STM32F373 runs more slowly, and, significantly, has multiple high-precision on-board 16-bit ADCs.

Why might one want to use a slower processor (and thus not as capable for DSP duties), but which has built-in high-precision ADCs? Well, here’s a clue, as posted by Olivier in a MW thread recently:

pichenettes> But a module “parsing” an input [pitch] CV/Gate sequence and doing stuff with it is a very interesting idea. Obviously I plan to do something about it!

Ha ha… I should have added STM32F0 support to stmlib, as a red herring…

Sounds a bit like a Quantizer.
Or a scale processor/transformer/transposer.
Or a sequence variation generator.

All of which could be cool.

a|x

pichenettes> Ha ha… I should have added STM32F0 support to stmlib, as a red herring…

Industrial espionage…I missed my calling. Maybe I can recruit a sophrologist as my agent?

btw. what happened to the utility module which went out for beta-testing at the end of last year,
will it be released (soon)? I´m really curious what it is.

> will it be released (soon)?

yes.

bingo!