Sidekick user manual?

I appreciate this is digging into the dim and distant past for most people but I recently obtained a Sidekick but have no clue how to get the most out of it. I have discerned that the output is the right hand side jack and I presume the input is the left hand side jack but how do I make the input pass through the filter? All I seem to be able to do is play with the LFOs which seem to be generating tones on their own (which is fantastic and I’ve spent hours playing with it this evening, setting the two LFOs at different speeds and creating lopside syncopations, but I’d like to process external audio too!)

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Is there genuinely no info anywhere other than the archived build instructions?

No other information has been published other than the build instructions.

Here’s the thing: there are many different ways in which these things can be built, so each build can be fairly unique.

Do you have a gain pot for the external input? If so, it needs to be turned up. If this pot has not been installed, then a jumper had to be soldered on the filter board, check that it is there.

Also check that the 5 jumpers in the “smurf modular” section are installed, so that all modulations are correctly routed to their default destinations.

If all these conditions are met, the signal will pass through if the filter is opened enough (check the position of the cutoff knob), and if the VCA is open (check that the AR2>VCA knob is turned counter-clockwise for the envelope to be disabled, or turn it clockwise and trigger the envelope).

1 Like

Thank you immensely! I’ve just checked the “smurf modular” section which looks like this:

I shall investigate the filter board now too (there is no external input gain control)

For what it’s worth, I love this little thing already! I don’t have any modular gear, only semi-modulars and outboard effects units, so this is my first experience with an MI device/circuit. I’m very grateful that it exists as otherwise, without going into modular, such a unit would have been beyond my grasp (for now… I do have a 60hp case from a Moog DFAM but it is unpowered and empty as yet)

The 3 most important jumpers are set! The other jumpers just send default voltages to the other ports of the filter board, but the SMR4 filter board doesn’t need them.

1 Like

Brilliant - thank you (both for your help and for creating such a fantastic unit!)