ShruthiXT OLED display won't work

Hi all,
I have my shruthiXT built and final step is on its way. After reading various instructions and topics here and there, I tried flashing my blank Atmega with a Nano DCCduino (manufacturer website dead. PC driver available here by chance : http://www.bhall.com/2009/04/prolific-usb-to-serial-adapter-cable.html). I tried on a mac, then a PC with Python25 and arduino 1.01 + followed schrab’s instructions here http://mutable-instruments.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_development_environment_on_Windows_machines, it looked like it transferred many files, but when I un/replug my ShruthiXT, all 8 leds are lit, but display is still off. Any clues ? Should I copy/paste the cmd text ?

>all 8 leds are lit

It’s not flashed right

A few questions in the meantime :
I removed “master" in the unzipped folders, but kept the "” in Shruthi-1, all ok ?
Renamed “Arduino1.0.1” in C:, to “Arduino”, OK ?
Renamed “Python25” to “python25”, is there a difference ?
I don’t use an avrispmkII, so what should I enter after “PROGRAMMER ?=” in avrlib\\makefile.mk ?
In the same makefile.mk, there are some question marks sometimes, but not always. Any difference ?
I tracked the string “AVRLIB_ETC_PATH” but didn’t find it, I added the target instruction anyway, still all OK ?
Can you confirm I should power the control board via the fiter board while ISP plugged ?
There is no mention of muboot on the zip, neither when mounting is done, but I read in a notepad on some file, that muboot is processed at some point. I found it on http://mutable-instruments.net/static/firmware/ but don’t know how to include it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

edit : I removed ‘master’ in the unzipped folders, but kept the ‘-’ in Shruthi-1, all ok ?

@altitude : any clue on what is wrong ?

None whatsoever. why not use the precompiled hex file instead of building it

Tis the one I grabbed. But then, don’t know how to send it like the others.

Here’s the terminal lines on another attempt (mac this time) : see file.
where is my flashing wrong ?

Build the bootloader hex too.

All done, but still no display.

Reflect on what you have done.

What has been accomplished?

What needs to be accomplished?

@pichenettes : i replied your post, sorry I wasn’t clear enough : I also tried to build the bootloader hex as per your advice, with “make -f bootloader/makefile” and the result is on the second part of my last attached txt. I did make resources + make + make -f bootloader/makefile but after that & unplugging my AVR, display is still off. Which makes me unsure of either my soldering or programming. My only aim is to load my blank Atmel so the XT works.

While re-reading the “Shruthi firmware development” section, and your questions, I wondered IF I simply had to do build the firmware. Is the firmware building part of the process when you don’t add any other functions to it ? Same question for the bootloader ? Should I simply push an “already” built firmware/bootloader ? Then how ? I saw code lines from users on the forum like avrdude -c usbasp -p m644p -U flash:w:shruthi-1.hex but nothing such in the manual or DIY section. Is there something I missed ?

> All done, but still no display.

In the command line you have posted you have built the bootloader, that’s all.

The files won’t upload themselves to the board unless you run “make bake_all”.

> I wondered IF I simply had to do build the firmware

No you don’t have to.

> Should I simply push an “already” built firmware/bootloader ?

That’s an option…

> Then how ?

Read an AVR flashing tutorial?

Or this?

This is what is use (substitute whatever AVR ISP programmer you are using for “avrisp2”

Fuses:

avrdude -B 100 -V -p m644p -c avrisp2 -P usb -e -U lock:w:0x3F:m -e -u -U efuse:w:0xFD:m -U hfuse:w:0xD6:m -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U lock:w:0x0f:m

OS+Bootloader:

avrdude -B 1 -V -p m644p -c avrisp2 -P usb \\ -U flash:w:shruthi1_1.01.hex:i -U flash:w:muboot.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

EEPROM:

avrdude -V -p m644p -c avrisp2 -P usb -U eeprom:w:internal_eeprom.hex:i

pichenettes : your ISP charges you per word now ;-) thanksaltitude! I couldn’t find these info on any “official” docs, and I knew a helpful community compensates my lack of understanding of all info & tutorials I read. Sorry I still have questions but I found nowhere a mention of the Nano DCCduino proper reference name, neither manufacturer nor my friend google did help. I guess my make went wrong, hence the command line posted above, plus I can’t find nowhere the internal_eeprom.hex created, where can I find it or make it ?

edit: my bad, internal_eeprom.hex found in \\shruthi\\data\\factory_data.
For the AVRISP, can I safely try “arduino” as the reference name or it might brick my Atmega ?

I dont think you can brick anything, if it doesnt like it, it will just say its not found. The eeprom is just the first 16 patches so dont fret with that

nuclearsound: maybepichenettes should be charging you by the word considering he’s giving you support for a product (XT board) you didn’t buy from him… :-\\

Right gwaidan, my private joke was not intended to be mean, sorry pichenettes don’t take it bad. Indeed, thanks to altitude and all the community topics here and there, I feel less like I’m a dumb beginner ;)- ok, I start from zero, but hopefully I’ll be able to help in my turn.

Feels like my DCCduino isn’t compatible with avrdude. Not in the list…