Shruthi endless encoder doesnt turn

Oke so i made a shruthi controllboard today(my number 5:) )
But the encoder doesnt turn. It responds to the push/click but does not respond to turning it.
So i cant scroll through the presets.
I have checkt the solders but cant find anything wierd.

Any pointers?

Check the solder joints on pin 1 and 2 of the microcontroller too. Maybe a short between these two?

The encoder is directly connected to the atmega644p. No other parts involved.

Looks like pin 1 and 2 are broken from my ic socket…
Any tips how i can fix this the easy way?

What do you mean with ‘broken’?

What do you mean by ‘broken’ ? Did they break off? There is multiple ways you could fix something like this.
E.G.
You could cut them of the ic socket and and replace just those 2 contacts with 2 cut from another ic socket.

@bloc

I think the MCU socket pin has no contact with the pcb. this happens more often when equip sockets. Test the solder from MCU socket.

The pins (1 and 2 ) of the ic socket are broken so those pins dont make contact with the pcb.

picture?

I cant take a good picture of it now because its dark in my room and i havent desolderd anything yet.
But here are some sick paint skills. So to make everything clear. It is the socket not the ic itself

Have they bent under when you inserted it into the PCB?

Did you take out the ATmega? Are the metal part totally gone? And the holes still unsoldered? Then you could peel out the metal min+clamp of another (small) IC socket and insert them in the holes of the 40DIP IC socket. And then just solder them

I have taken out the atmega but havent desolderd yet. I will have time for that on Tuesday. I think they are bent under it because i still see some metal in the socket part.

Will report back if have more news.

Thx for the help guys

Try peeling them out. Don’t desolder the whole socket.

@bloc. Good luck :slight_smile:

There’s a few ways to resolve from the tidy ones to the ugly ones.

You may carefully be able to lift up the corner of the socket with a screwdriver and get the pins unfolded.

Otherwise it ranges from getting a new socket and painfully removing the socket. Or cutting the socket corner off (separating the 2 pins from the rest) then replacing it with the corner of another socket.

Or lastly, cut some plastic off the socket away from the side of the socket to reveal the side of the female contact and solder a wire onto each one.

Nothing easy or pleasant, it’s always a good idea to check the pins are all present before soldering.