Shruthi codebase cleanup

@pichenettes "how do you search for sounds while an arp is running if loading each preset resets the arp"
Some synthesizers do not allow searching different sounds while the sequencer or arpeggiator is on. (Eg Novation)I do not know if it’s a good thing, but it is a fact.
But settings are saved with a patch.

On the Blofeld arp settings are saved with the patch, but I can’t remember how it worked. Sold mine some time ago.

as martin mentioned we could let the userwavetable go - and have an edit buffer for the arp, sequencer and sound like on the MicroWave?

“we could let the userwavetable go” : Yes we can :slight_smile:
“and have an edit buffer for the arp, sequencer and sound” : we could find a sound while the sequencer or arpeggiator is working ?

> and have an edit buffer for the arp, sequencer and sound like on the MicroWave?

What’s that?

How about saving the currently selected patch with the sequence or arp instead?

Basically its 8 memory slots where changes are saved automatically for an edited patch. Its indicated by an e after the Patch name, and the Patch in the Memory is only overwritten when you explicitly save it. Advantage is, you can change the edited patch without saving and when you come back to its slot its always the edited one - until you switch off power.

I know you don’t want to maintain two code branches. But I personally think the code for classic and new control board should be separate, perhaps a small product name change?

I guess if you can’t maintain the classic Shruthi-1 code (you have way too much to do already) then it would look a little bad. But it’s not as if the existing firmware is light on features, if it never changed again it would still be better than pretty much any other DIY monosynth out there.

I’m pretty sure lots of people will want to build the new thing. Although there will be the cynics who would say that if the new firmware didn’t work on the old boards that you were doing it to drive sales.

I’m glad I’m not in your shoes when it comes to such decisions :slight_smile:

> how do you search for sounds while an arp is running if loading each preset resets the arp?

Have one setting in a patch that is SAVED ARP NUMBER? And the you can cycle this number to load the associated arp from the arp library. I would def ditch at least the performance page for this.

> Have one setting in a patch that is SAVED ARP NUMBER? And the you can cycle this number to load the associated arp from the arp library.

My point is the following: there are situations in which you do not want the sequencer/arp settings to be loaded when you open a patch. For example, you have an arp/sequence running and you want to try a different sound for it.

One solution I was thinking of: if the arp/sequencer is currently running, load only the sound data. I the arp/sequencer is stopped, load everything.

Or maybe only load the patch/arp/pairs on a program change? If you dial in the patch you can cycle though them?

> on a program change

You mean, from MIDI?

Also, to make things clear: the only new feature I really planned for this “mkII” firmware is to rework all the I/O / pots scanning code to make it more efficient and allow for an integrated control surface with decent refresh rates.

Any other change is just a collateral of trying to save on flash and clean up things…

> You mean, from MIDI?

Yes. I would think the only time it is crucial to load a preset/arp/seq bundle all at once is via midi program change when you are playing live. The rest of the time i am happy to tweak.

Maybe hold a button while skipping through the patches to not load the arp/sequencer. Performance page is nice but could go once the programmer PCB is an option.

Hi, I prefer the sh101 style sequencer.

I have a little out of topic question about the kit ‘‘XL’’ that you prepare:
Will you sell a plexi case with it?

> One solution I was thinking of: if the arp/sequencer is currently running, load only the sound data. I the arp/sequencer is stopped, load everything.

Excellent solution. Best of both worlds.

> Will you sell a plexi case with it?

Either a plexi case or a “hybrid” solution with an alu panel for the top + opaque plexi for the sides and bottom.

I think it would be great for me. Thanks in advance

“Hybrid” cas sounds awesome - the “bling” of seeing the glorious pcb’s and the solid feel of metal face plate.