Shruthi Ambiences, drones and textures

I recently discovered the ambient capabilities of my ladder filter Shruthi. Here’s a few examples of drones/ambiences/textures.
http://soundcloud.com/the-slow-growth/sets/shruthi-1-ladder-filter-drones
Unfortunately the LFOs are relatively fast (not good for retriggering envelopes at a slow pace) but the sequencer can be a good retriggering source. Key to all of those sounds is to remove the default VCA routing to have the sound play without pressing a key and in addition have envelope 2 free for other stuff.
The synth was not touched during the recording!

Great food for musical thought :slight_smile:

After I posted this, I played a bit with randomizing patches. Interestingly (but not surprisingly once you think about it) many of the random patches do create very interesting drone sounds. It’s kind of cheating, though.

@TheSlowGrowth: To get SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW LFOs on the Shruthi, sync them to MIDI at x16 rate, and set the Shruthi MIDI clock as low as it will go. You can get randomish triggers using the operators with an LFO and step sequencer. Hope that helps for making more drones. :slight_smile:

Very handy tip audiohoarder - will try that myself for slow evolving patches

Martin

@yewtreemagic: Just a small warning, tiny tweaks can be the difference between “musical” and “experimental” when using the operators. Also, when mixing the LFO intensity in the mod matrix the same rule applies. The only real issue with the LFO MIDI sync is that both LFOs will fall in more predictable patterns however using prime numbers like an x13 and an x11 rate - although faster - are a great source of unpredictable modulation.

Or as I mentioned, you can split the step sequencer into two 8 step sequences and get some interesting “random variation” that way. I suggest using the xor on the two sequencer tracks.

Press button 5 to goto the MIDI and system options. On the first screen, change the tempo to what you want. If you want tap tempo, set the Shruthi tempo to external and hook it up to something that accept tap tempo and sends it over MIDI.

I should really find out how I can split the sequence in half.
Thanks for the great tips.
BTW: I forgot to mention that all the demos above use a tiny bit of delay and some reverb.

There are stpseq, seq1, and seq2. Seq1 is the first 8 steps, and seq2 is the second 8 steps. This is the sequencer that isn’t MIDI data.

@audiohoarder how do you set shruthis internal clock ? Also, one quick question, can internal arpeg and seq be set by tapping tempo ?