Shruthi-1 reference manual

http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1/manual

Inkscape is awful, matplotlib rocks.

Any comments/typo reports?

No errors noted here.

Comments? Mostly just wow.

I remember most of these features from the forum over the last months, but when you read about them all tightly and logically integrated in - it’s a wonder to behold.

Call me simple, but I’m most glad about the logical interface. It sounds really well done- right down to the compare, patch saving, performance page etc. The mod page looks like such a relief to me, that’s where my Blofeld drops the ball. Interface isn’t the tech-est thing to talk about, but it makes a world of difference me :slight_smile:

But of course those wavetables and oscillators are just begging me to hear them…

Not corrections, but extra information clarifications (sorry if I missed them):

1. Are the CV inputs to be ‘hacked in’ straight on the IC pins?
  2. Master Tune and Midi are saved globally or per patch?
  3. Patch volume - if I wanted to make 2 patches the same volume, would I best mod route an offset to VCA gain to reduce the louder patch?

But these are only very small questions.

Congratulations Olivier. I hope you are very proud of what you have done!

1/ The CV inputs are broken out as a row of 4 connectors on the left side of the control/digital board.
2/ Master tune and MIDI settings are not part of the patch, they are part of the global midi/kbd settings (and there’s only one memory slot for them).
3/ To attenuate the volume of a patch, you can reduce the amount of modulation from env2 to the VCA. By default, it is set to the maximum value (63), which means that if the sustain is set to 80, the VCA CV is 5 * 80 / 128 = 3.125V. With a lower modulation amount (say 40), this would become 1.95V. Another thing I found myself frequently doing is to use the fuzz modulator with a mild setting to boost the gain of weaker patches.

Looks awesome - I can’t remember if you’ve quoted what the final cost will be Olivier, but if anywhere even close to what the Shruti was, this thing is going to be incredible. What I love so much about my Shruti so far is that, even though DIY, the thing sounds so damn good. And these incremental features in the Shruthi are going to just push it well beyond. Like Adam said, seeing everything all together is pretty impressive.

My favorite line in the manual is after you finish describing the oscillators: “That’s it for the oscillators waveforms.” - THAT’S IT??? Sheesh, the thing has so many different and unique oscillators, including a user loadable wavetable! Also love the crazy sequencer/arpegiator stuff, as well as the little things like “snap” for the pots.

My congratulations in advance also

Price-wise, this is going to be roughly the same as the Shruti-1 - at most 20€ more. I haven’t figured out the economics yet - but the fact that I will now be able to sell as many units as there is demand for (no CEM3379 limitation!) is really going to help, since I can plan for larger quantities and buy in bulk.

That’s absolutely incredible in my view (re: the price). The feature & sound/cost ratio is out of this world!

i agree w/mr nigrin. rarely has a manual got me drooling on my laptop. cant wait for the two-fisted shruti/shruthi set.

I am salivating. Echoing dnigrin’s feelings, I am especially excited about the oscillators, wavetables, and arp/seq improvements. A “Phillip Glass” pattern generator? This is MADNESS!

Thanks for clearing those up Olivier, and very much agreed with the others.

If my memory serves correctly we’re therefore talking about a full kit in the order of 140€ or less?!

Well I hope there’s still a decent margin in there for the developer, now that we’ve watched all the many hours of work that went in!