Shruthi-1 Drone Edition

Hi Olivier,
I have always loved the concept and sound of drone type synths. I was wondering if you have had any requests for this type of thing. Is the Shruthi-1 capable of this? Or am I dreaming.
Thanks!

I certainly did not expect to get as much digital noise - it’s part of the problems of working with breadboard protos… While you can measure many parameters of the design ; but noise and stability are not among them.

@pichenettes: “By the way, I got the background hissing to go down by 7dB just by adding cables between arbitrary ground points on the proto, so the noise is definitely a grounding problem that will go away with a proper PCB…”

That’s great news - always good to find your initial design can sound even better than you expected :wink:

Martin

Yeah I’m digging that man…

Nice!!

Going over my soundcloud archive I found this . I think we almost have a portishead track here :slight_smile:

By the way, I got the background hissing to go down by 7dB just by adding cables between arbitrary ground points on the proto, so the noise is definitely a grounding problem that will go away with a proper PCB…

I agree, modular synths can cost a fortune (had them before, gave up on them). Though they can produce great sound, a Shruthi-1 kicks modular ass in so many arenas.

absolutely. most of what i’ve used them for have been drone like sounds.

Excellent Olivier! Great example of the new board proto. Thanks everyone for the advice. Shruthi-1 is a mighty beast indeed. :slight_smile:

@pichenettes
So xtrmnt has to buy 2 :wink:

You could build a sidekick.

But the shruthi on its own is able to produce lovely drones thanks to its powerful modulation matrix. I found out that when trying to produce drones, the important thing is not the number of oscillators but the quality and amount of modulation. On that point, the shruthi is a killer since you can route any lfo, sequence, s&h, noise or whatsoever to anything.
Here are two patches (barely the same actually) I made up in like 5 minutes each using one cem3379 shruthi (which is probably not the best possible filter board for this kind of stuff, compared to a polivoks, a 4PM or the oncoming ms-20+delay filter board).
drone 1
drone 2
Raw sound, no reverb, no compression or anything of that sort added. I pick the fundamental note using a keyboard, which is very convenient.

The approach is pretty different from a fully analog system like the “monsterdrone” or the “dronelab”. You won’t be able to get a perfectly progressive transition between notes because of discretization ; but you actually have more options to get pulsating, random-like, noisy dronish sounds.

The Shruthi-1 won’t do as many oscillators for sure…

Hold the test note and play with the modulation matrix? Route LFO to noise level, oscillator mixing, sub osc balance, param1 and param2 etc…

Sounds like an option. I was thinking of something like this:

http://vbrazil.eng.br/MonsterDrone.html

I did this with the first bit of equipment I could grab. No, not a modular with 2000€ woth of modules, just a Shruthi-1 with the delay board proto :smiley:

Some notes:

• xor modulation + square LFO is superb for grungy stuff
  • try all the weird osc mixing modes - xor, fuzz, fold, bits
  • FM is surprisingly good for this