Sheep!

Some info about the new Tides firmware

Still beta, try at your own risks!

Interesting addition. Unofficial meaning you wrote it but it won’t ever be pre-loaded?

Yes. Week-end project.

Aren’t you supposed to be having a holiday break? :slight_smile:

Great! Now, I would like a dedecated panel for this…

very nice! Upload worked flawlessly (and if i can do, usually anyone can). The modes are great, also the stepping through using the clock input. Now the rest of the day is probably taken up by exploring the modes (and i wasn’t even finished with exploring the original firmware).

sounds ace! thoughts about other modules eliminated completely.

I’m so glad I ventured to get the second Tides before shop closed. Now I need to sell Waverider, and I even haven’t built it yet O_o

Is there any practical limit to the number of times firmware can be re-flashed? I dimly recall seeing 10,000 cycles, which is not really a practical limit. I ask, because it might be worth getting an openOCD interface for use with the JTAG connector to allow rapid refreshing of the module. Do the reset and sys boot buttons need to be pressed to put it into bootloader limbo when using OCD? I gather that the STM ST-Link board works well for this purpose, and it is a lot cheaper than the Olimex. What I had in mind was a small break-out panel that brings the JTAG connector for one or more Tides to the front, to allow easy firmware swaps. It would only need to be 2 or 4 HP wide.

> Is there any practical limit to the number of times firmware can be re-flashed?

10,000, yes, though ST are a bit more conservative than other manufacturers who spec 100,000 cycles for the exact same type of memory.

> Do the reset and sys boot buttons need to be pressed to put it into bootloader limbo when using OCD?

Hell no! And uploads are so fast! And gdb :smiley:

OK, thanks, ST-Link v2 added to my Mouser shopping cart. Have discovered that a debugger is vital for hacking MI code, since printf() is not really an option, even on Braids.

GDB connected to the chip is cool. You can step through and it’ll show your the context in the sauce. And you can call functions, set variables, it’s almost like a CLI on it. I’ve used an STM32F4 Discovery board for this, it has the STLink built in so it can be used also for projects running on a custom board, you just remove some jumpers and make the appropriate connections.

Just a quick video because it was Sunday and I was avoiding doing any real work.

@niklasni1, thanks! I’ll look into the STM32F4 Discovery Board as an alternative. Can never have too much context in the sauce.

@Matos: Great demo. I can see there being a whole section of modular users that just use Tides and custom firmwares.

Thanks! I’d grab another tides if I wasn’t saving for a clouds and elements. The waveforms are really smooth. No need for a custom faceplate as its all pretty straight forward. Really nicely done, and free to boot.

I’d buy one. For joy of having kinda new module and for the feel of… dunno, maybe ‘completeness’ of the system. Just like what Denis Cazajeux made with Der OTO. That overlay was an instant buy to me.

Heh, a year ago I couldn’t image that two of my most favourite synthesizer companies would be French.

i installed and played around a bit with sheep today.
it’s such a wonderful x-mas present!

as i already said on muff’s: i love how it combines braids’ wmap 2d wavetable thing with tides’ waveshaping, virtual vca, cv inputs, and general knob-per-function-hands-on approach.
and the 1bit output is really wicked!

i’d love to see a dedicated faceplate for this.
come on rumpelfilter, off to the drawing board! :slight_smile:

here is what i’ll take with me when going to my parents’ for a couple of days over the holidays:

just one thing so far about sheep that i don’t quite get:

> The UNI and BI outputs contain the same signal, but UNI oscillates between 0V and 8V ; and BI between -5V and +5V.

what for? why output the same signal, just with an offsett and a different amplitude?

might it perhaps be more useful to output the same, bipolar signal, but 90 degree phase-shifted?

[edit: hm ok, the unipolar output can be quite useful too, if you don’t happen to have a shades next to your tides - and it’s more in keeping with tides’ outputs…]

@mic.w, iirc the outputs are hardware calibrated to bring 0-8 and ±5 V. Phase shifted outputs would be cool though.

@pichenettes, the sub-oscillator doesn’t retrigger upon receiving a signal at Trigger input. Is it planned behavior?