Salvaging mangled LCD connection

Yes I have truly f*cked up. Usually one has to be drunk or stoned to do this sort of thing, but I have neither as an excuse :frowning:

My completed Ambika works perfectly (1 ladder, 5 SRM) and sounds AMAZING, but when I went to put the case on I realised that the LCD was on top of the MOBO instead of on the underside. It was hell getting it off, and I resorted to using a dremmel tool to cut through the connector. But during the cutting process, I took several nasty swipes off the surface of the PCB, exposing areas of copper, some of which are appear to be touching the LCD connection holes.

My plan is to bolt the LCD in correctly, then carefully solder in 16 links. My concern is the mess on the PCB (see picture) and how best to ensure that I don’t have shorts when I’m done. I assume that the exposed copper is all ground?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome and appreciated :slight_smile:
Drew

OK, so I’ve spent some time with the schematics and the voltmeter. My only real problem seems to be several traces lifted around this area.

LCD pin #11 (data 4) should connect to ATMega pin #18
LCD pin #13 (data 6) should connect to ATMega pin #20
>>> Can these two connections be handwired without causing problems?

LCD pin #4 (LCD_RS) should connect to ATMega pin #17
LCD pin #6 (LCD_Enable) should connect to ATMega pin #16
>>> Can these two connections be handwired without causing problems?

If someone can verify that it’s OK to run wires for these four connections I would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Drew

OK #2… found an old thread about this same problem someone else had.

Off to the workbench to run wired connections!

Drew

The important thing is to make sure there are no shorts between any of the connections.

If you are that concerned about the exposed copper, get some sort of paint and paint over it carefully. Model paint perhaps. Although some tape would do it too.

For the record, almost half of the MOBO/LCD connections looked safe for direct connections with resistor lead scraps, the rest I did with wire and it works perfectly :slight_smile:

A bit ugly on the front side… but it’s the sound that matters!
Drew