Rossum El-Mu Panharmonium

This looks from specs and front panel like an extremely interesting module, and not too dissimilar to something Émilie might have come up with. I’m curious as to other’s thoughts, pros and cons. It seems like a module I would have fun exploring…

1 Like

Some (much) earlier thoughts from Émilie:

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to me like this is such a kind of effect. It seems more like it analyses incoming audio with an FFT and applies the spectrum or a part of the spectrum to a bank of oscillators. So the only lag here is the actual FFT window which can be quite coarse/small if you have a maximum of 33 oscillators anyway.

1 Like

It depends on what is meant by “…applies the spectrum or a part of the spectrum to a bank of oscillators”. Does it use FFT rather than a bank of band-pass filters as in a vocoder for the input, but a bank of oscillators rather than filters (thus additive rather than subtractive) for the output?

There was also this:

2 Likes

This looks great.

Spectral processing doesn’t equate FFT - the panharmonium could very well do its thing with filter banks (and in fact, there is no reason why filter banks wouldn’t be used!).

3 Likes

Oh yes, I see. You can narrow down the frequency range (or broaden it) and the total number of oscillators is quite low - sounds very much like 1-33 variable bandwidth band pass filters. Okay then, so one step further away from the problems of “large window size FFT/IFFT effects”.

1 Like

Spectral analysis and resynthesis with windowing sounds like fft to me. This sort of analysis will strip the input of its non pitched components, and simplify its sound into bands and windows, but then there are so many fascinating possibilities in the resynthesis side for beauteous play.

1 Like

bob bliss explaining and demoing the module:

0 Likes