RIP Pete Namlook :(

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=18224

damn…

Wow, especially sad for me because Peter saw fit to release some of my band’s music on his Fax label, very early on (in 1993, we were the first foreign act he signed on which he did not collaborate on any of the music himself).

RIP Peter…

RIP indeed - and he was only 52

This is terrible news. I was an avid Fax fanatic in the 90s and still have dozens of release in my CD archives. The label really forged who I am today since it was the inspiration for me to really look into the devices creating the sounds. Made me want to know more about a 4voice or what Sequential was all about…

Rich Hawtin posted a kind tribute.

It’s with a heavy heart that I sit here on our Cntrl: Beyond EDM tour bus, travelling through the Midwest listening to a song that was the soundtrack to so many important moments in my, my brothers & my Detroit crew’s lives… From Within ‘A Million Miles to Earth.’ This week my friend and collaborator Peter Kuhlman better known as Pete Namlook from FAX Records, Germany, passed away. My condolences to Pete’s family, friends & fans. It MUST be said that Pete was an Electronic Music pioneer, a pillar of the modern Germany Electronic Music scene AND single handedly created & sustained the Ambient movement of the 1990’s and beyond. Inspired by those who came before him, Pete continually inspired all of us and his sonic blueprint is part of the foundation of Electronic Music that we all stand upon today. I’ve opened up this Soundcloud link to one of our finest musical moments together as a free download. Recorded just after New Years Eve 1993 in Frankfurt, Germany, the first song we wrote together. Originally written as a reminder of my friends in Detroit, a million miles away from Frankfurt, this song will now forever be a reminder of Pete, a million miles away from us all. Goodbye Pete, Safe travels… LISTEN & REMEMBER…

Brillant stuff

… and it has taken me this long to realise how influential he was on my developing interest in electronic music back in the early 90s. RIP Pete…

I’ve also just discovered that VEMIA are handling the sale of some of Pete Namlook’s estate including instruments most likely used in his genre defining recordings: An Oberheim 2 and 4 voice, EMS Synthi AKS and OSC Oscar to name some, with all proceeds going to his family.