Rings vs Elements when processing bass lines

First, apologies, I made almost exactly the same post on Muffwiggler, think the discussion here will be different though.

So in ben_hex’s video on Rings he shows how you can use it for bass:

Right before that, he shows how you can use the brightness like a filter:

I don’t have Rings, but I have Elements, so I tried to get the same result, and it doesn’t seem to work the same way. Great bells of course but nothing like the Rings video.

I have my Atlantis feeding in a little basic bass sound, coming in through the right-hand input on Elements, which bypasses the exciter and goes straight through to the resonator. Brightness, damping, and geometry all have effects on the timbre which are vaguely comparable to a filter, but really not the same thing at all.

I’ve been really happy with Elements for house-y bass but I make more aggressive music as well, so I was hoping this would work, but obviously the two modules are very different. Is anyone using Elements for drum and bass, big growly bass lines, that kind of thing? I figured Rings was just the resonator from Elements, but it looks like I underestimated it quite a bit.

Rings’ brightness controls both a LPF on the audio input and the resonator brightness. Elements’ audio inputs do not have this “pre-resonator” LPF. That’s where the difference is!

I wouldn’t recommend either of these modules for house or drum and bass - which, I think, require something producing very stable and harmonically simple sustained sounds.

Also, since a resonator “carves” the spectrum and add “tails” to sounds, you won’t get very interesting results by feeding it harmonically poor and sustained sounds compared to bright, noisy, bursty things…

When I still had Elements I sure could get some nice punchy percussive fm-ish house and techno bass sounds out of it. I do agree that it doesn’t really shine for sustained dub and drum ’n bass type sounds. It also doesn’t make a lot of sense to feed it basic bass sounds; try various impulses followed by sustained (filtered) noise or try putting a delay with a wet reverb in between the inpulse generator and the resonator to get more sustain.

aha, thanks - that LPF must be the key. I’ll try throwing noisier stuff at my Elements. when I use it in a D&B track it typically plays a percussive role but obviously it’s got a lot of strengths for atmospheric stuff.

Try to feed it some linear shift register noise (you know the type of noise found on 8bit computers and consoles, you can get it from modules like Edges, vcNoiz, but also Braids) and use the string model on Rings. You can get some nice, punchy brassy sounds out of it.

The point of this discussion was that gilesgoatboy doesn’t have a rings and wants to achieve the same with elements.

Oh sorry, though LSRN should do cool stuff with Elements as well!

well, the subtext is that gilesgoatboy is sort of looking for an excuse to buy Rings as well. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a Loquelic Iteritas on the way, I figure it’ll be a good source of noisy input for Elements’s resonator.