Rings distorted output problem

Hello everyone, I noticed yesterday that the output of my Rings is saturated. This saturation progressively disappears when the note decay is released. I had never noticed this before. Do you have any idea where this problem comes from?

What do you connect Rings’ output to?

Rings is connected to my eurorack “Hyrlo” mixer as usual, i’ve tested all 3 inputs, various cables… Saturation appears even at low volume. The Hyrlo isn’t faultly, I’ve Plaits, Disting EX etc… no saturation at all with other module… It’s strange :thinking:

Can you post a recording (uncompressed file)?

I 'll try to do a recording in the next few days. I don’t have recording equipment right now so it can be a little “tricky”
Do you think it can be a good idea to recalibrate the module?

No. Whatever it is, it can’t be affected by calibration.

I used a Doboz TSNM mk2 to control Rings since few days. The gate output of the TSNM send gate at 0V to +10V and CV at 0V to +8V. Does a too high voltage CV or gate can affect the sound quality of Rings?

No.

Some one mention that I’m accidentaly set in “easter egg mode” If it’s the case how can I leave this mode?

I recommend you to post a recording. This will allow me to directly diagnose the problem, rather than trying random things probably unrelated to the issue.

I’ll do that, sorry for " les questions dans tous les sens"

Hi there,

i have a new rings module too and was wondering about the same effect the last days. Then i came across this topic.
I made a short recording in
red mode,
green polyphony,
structure at 9 o’clock
brightness at 5 o clock
position at 12 o clock
turning up the damping knob from fully left ccw to fully cw.
You can hear the distortion starting when the damping knob reaches 12 o clock

Unfortunately i cannot upload any files because i’m a new user.
It would be nice to get the rights to do the upload.

Edit: I just uploaded here: https://we.tl/t-wViu2LCfev

Cheers

Hi

Just tried those settings on my Rings, and as far as I can tell that’s perfectly normal behaviour.

I might also add it sounds gorgeous.

Just to upload the file here aswell.
Here it is:
Rings_distorted_output.zip (3.4 MB)

In the case of @ModulPaule 's example: this sounds to me like normal behavior, or at least a sound I have encountered with my Rings; I always interpreted it as an overflowing of the resonances of the filters when they are not damped.

When Brightness is at 5 o’clock, the excitation signal is unfiltered white noise (a flat spectrum). Put that in a comb filter and you still get a spectrum with many harmonics!

This is the normal behavior of the module. This is not “distorted” (the waveform actually shows no clipping)… just “harmonically rich”.

Hi Émilie,

many thanks for the response and clearing this up. It absolutely makes sense and the module still sounds really nice.
I maybe just need to get more familiar with the module and all its possibilities.

Cheers and have a nice weekend