Rings compared to Twin Peak Filter/resonant filter (Hordjik-Klangbau Koln)

Hello all,

Am curious as to whether anyway has had the opportunity to compare rings to the Twin Peak filter (v1 or V2) ? Am trying to decide between the two to complement an elements.

cheers

Sorry, but why would you compare the two? One does modal synthesis/physical modelling, the other is a peculiar type of twin filter design. While you may get similar sounds of it in some cases I guess, they really are totally different.
A better comparison might be the 4ms SMR, or the Serge Resonator, and still… even those are really different from Rings. But if you have an Elements you should know that.
And since you have an Elements, the thing is this: do you want something to do string-like sounds using physical modelling? Then go for Rings. Do you like What Elements does and want do get more of it, or add a little bit of polyphony to it? Get Rings. Do you want something similar but really different? Get a 4ms SMR or a Serge Resonator. Do you want a twin resonant Filter like the Hordijk one to do squelchy, watery, bubbly sounds? Get the Klangbau Köln model :smiley:

Much thanks Papernoise for your detailed response and I’m sorry if my questions seems a bit stupid. I thought there might be some crossover in the filter character of each but i realize now that a comb filter and twin filter are very different things. I probably should have asked if the rings would allow me to get the same bubbly sounds as the klangbau köln. Thought the rings might be slightly different than the elements.

I didn’t want by any means insinuate that your question was stupid. Simply that it is really hard to compare the two. And yes, comb filters, modal resonators, physical modelling and twin filters are all very different, though they certainly have an overlap in certain areas.

The similarities are probably stronger between Elements and Rings than the differences. This has been covered already many times here on the forums, so I’ll just give you the short version and invite you to look up the many threads on the topic here.

What Elements has that Rings lacks: built in exciter section, reverb.
What Rings has that Elements lacks: polyphony (in the sense that it can play up to 4 voices so release of sounds is not cut off, but it still only has one trigger and v/oct input), synmpathetic string / inharmonic string physical modelling. So there is still value in having both, but they also have quite a bit of overlap.
I’m not sure you can really do the bubbly watery sounds you can do with a twin-filter design like the Klangbau one. The best thing is always: watch as many demos as you can online and if possible see if you can try the modules out yourself in a shop. Your ears are the best judge. None of us will really be able to tell you which module best fits with you.

Someone should come up with a module hire service. Pay a set amount for a weeks hire, then people can try before they buy.

No worry. I wasn’t at all offended.

absolutely!

Good idea. Should be relatively easy to organize in cities, but for those out in the boondocks might prove a tad more difficult even with the best intentions. All those lost books lent to dear friends come to mind.

i kinda like that I have to purchase something and commit to learning it or commit to throwing my money around. as I can go to Control or Detective Squad or [whatever the other darn synth store in brooklyn is] I have tried to evaluate modules in person but I really think that an hour on a rack that isn’t mine tells me only so much about how it would actually function in my own particular use case.

you can rent almost any type of camera or lens for a fraction of the price (for instance, a $1500 lens was ~$100 for a thursday afternoon-> monday morning rental), this would be a great service I would almost certainly use.

Yeah also totally true. Though maybe it can be a little help in combination with online demos and all the stuff we already have.

Yes, the key word is “committing” and I totally agree with that! For me it’s always more a commitment to learning to really use what I have and not letting myself get too wound up in the “omg I need to have this” hysteria, which you can easily fall into with all the new stuff coming out all the time.

But getting back to the rental thing. That would be really useful for other things as well. I remember I had once a project where I would have needed 10 identical noise oscillators. It’s not something you just buy and then sell again. Or better you can do that, but it’s a lot of money you have to spend and a lot of work to get the things sold again. SO being able to rent stuff could be really useful for specific projects where you need something you’d normally not buy.

I don’t think it would be cheap to rent. Certainly makes no sense for cheaper modules. There would need to be a deposit as well as the fee.

Once you start to think about the possibilities for maintenance and repair it could become unrealistic. I guess it depends on if all the modules have reverse polarity protection. Perhaps someone can make Euro power cables with the protection built in if that’s possible?

Of course, the other non-tactile alternative is one of these virtual modular racks like VCV.

https://vcvrack.com/