Rings chords mode - module companion

Hello all,

I am in the process of slighty expanding my system and I would like to find a good companion for controlling rings in chord mode.
Basically so far I have used Befaco Rampage into the CV of Structure but I have found difficult to properly tune it and also it has a kind of glissando/portamento effect as it generates continuous curve.

Is anyone willing of sharing his/her experience on this?

What modules have you paired with rings for controlling chords?

Really appreciate your input.

If you’re looking to dial in specific chords via Structure then you probably want to use a sequencer of some kind.

I’ve done this with relative success with a BSP, an SQ-1…etc.

Or how about Frames?

thanks,
so basically you use the CV out of a sequencer into Structure CV input?

what kind of voltages you use? I assume high pitch notes

Yeah, CV out of the sequencer to Structure CV.

The voltage level depends on what the sequencer is able to put out and the range of the CV input.

Rings’ CV inputs are +/- 8v, so most sequencers should be able to do the trick (i.e. the SQ-1 is able to hit 8v).

You may need to rely on the attenuverter as well since a lot of sequencers tend to be uni-polar (i.e. once again, the SQ-1).

It’s important to know how to read CV inputs’ specs!

When I write that the range of a CV input is +/- 8V, it doesn’t mean that you have to send a signal going from -8V to +8V to sweep the STRUCTURE knob from one side to the other. It simply means that you can feed voltages up to +8V or down to -8V without the CV input clipping.

On pretty much all my modules, it takes +5V to sweep a knob from minimum position to maximum position. So any sequencer outputting a CV between 0V and +5V (and there are many of them) can sequence the STRUCTURE knob without the need for extra gain.

2 Likes

Duly noted! Thanks for the clarification.

that’s great.
@pichenettes thanks for taking part.

If I may, just a couple of additional questions to understand better:

1. I assume that if I have the structure knob to 0 position (7 o’clock) and the attenuverter to the max positive, if I send +5 V I got the max for structure (5 o’clock position) while 0 V is its actual position?

2. is there a relation between V and chord change? I remember your post on MW about the type of chords and I can hear the knob goes in steps, so how many volts are needed for chord change?

This will allow me to have more thought sequences.

Thanks as always

1. Yes you are correct.

2. There are 11 chords addressable through 5V, so that’s about 0.45V per position. Though it might be simpler to just do it by ear because there’s a bit of hysteresis (so a voltage near the “boundary” between two chords might not always yield the same chord).

Thanks for the explanation @pichenettes, much appreciated.

Did not know about hysteresis, interesting.
I will have a go and a think.
If I manage to get the centre voltage for each chord, I can not get trapped in this problem.

A bit? They’re the most exciting/funny chords I know.

:neutral_face: