Reset Trig outs Marbles?

Hello! Is it possible to reset Marbles while in Grids mode so the trigs can start at the same time (kick, snare, etc) as it’s being externally clocked?

Marbles will reset if there is a pause lasting a few seconds in the clock signal.

1 Like

Wondering about the possibility of an alternative firmware which replaces a cv input with a reset like function. I realize that there is no actual 1 or downbeat to reset to since marbles’ patterns are dynamically created, but I think it would be a very useful feature if it could reset to some fixed point in the buffer. Is this a possibility? I would gladly trade say the cv over pattern length for a reset.

The module “resets” if the clock input is interrupted for a few seconds.

Yes, but if there was a reset cv input it would allow some creative possibilities, for example feeding an uneven or semi random series of gates into the clock input and still having marbles produce a repeating melodic patterns in locked modes without knowing and setting the number of beats on marbles in advance. Or setting marbles buffer length to an Uneven number of beats and having it reset to line up with the down beat of the rest of the track every bar or other bar etc.

Emile thank You for the info! Can You kindly explain how I could use marbles in grids mode while being externally clocked, as a typical drum sequencer behavior (I guess similar to how grids can be start from the beginning so a kick always starts from the first clock)
The main reason I am longing for this behavior is because the kick / snare I get from marbles is to my ear better than anything especially for that electro / house sound and I love it! And being able to cv the bias gives it that change that really makes it better than any (for me)
What I am asking is please explain to me like a third grader to make this happen. Thank You and happy holidays and new year hope all the best to You friend.

What are you using as a source of external clock? A MIDI interface? Another sequencer?

If this device can be configured to stop emitting the clock when playback is stopped, do that. Marbles will detect the pause in the clock signal when playback is stopped, and will reset to the first beat when the clock is restarted.

Otherwise, if it outputs the clock continuously but can be configured to output a “run” signal (ie 0V when stopped, 5V when playing), use this signal to “gate” the clock signal (either using a logic AND module, a CV min module, or a VCA); and send this gated clock signal to Marbles.

I am usually taking the midi from logic via Focusrite scarlet 8i8v3 midi din cable out into an A-190-8 and getting the 1/16th clock from there to the entire system. I do believe I can look into the clock out options inside of logic to see about that. This is also what I have in my rack, https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_806216.jpg
although I typically like to take the clock from logic so that I can record back into it on tempo.
Thank You!

From the A-190-8 product page:

“Start: outputs a pulse at each Midi Start or Continue message or generates a gate signal that remains in the high state until a Midi Stop message occurs (selectable via jumper)”

So you can indeed configure the module to output a signal that is high during playback, and 0V the rest of the time. You can use this signal to “gate” its clock output (using a logic module or VCA), and obtain the signal that Marbles expects.

Okay. Does that mean change the jumpers on the rear of the module (JP11 I’m guessing if yes because it’s not trigger / gate or +5v / +12v?) A-190-8 Jumper Document: http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A190_8_jumper.pdf
or, if don’t change any jumpers, use which output? (The Start output goes high and stays high until stopped) Maybe the Wait output? A190-8 Manual: A-190-8
Can You please explain specifically how to use a logic AND module, CV min module or VCA to make this happen? Sorry I need my hand held on this, I messed around a bunch and read the manual before asking again. I don’t totally understand what You mean specifically by gate the clock signal. THANK YOU a bunch
This is what I have currently: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_806216.jpg

JP9B must be installed. As for the rest, I don’t see a suitable VCA in your system, but maybe someone familiar with the other modules you own could find one!

Mmm, maybe you can patch the clock in the input of Branches, set the knob to the minimum, patch the Start output of the A190-8 to the CV input of Branches, and get a gated clock from OUT B? You should see that the clock is emitted on OUT A when playback is stopped, and on OUT B when playback is active.

A friend of mine and me have been thinking about this as well.

A reset input would be amazing, and I would like to try to integrate one into a firmware mod. I have done some programming for data analysis, but never any DSP or controller firmware.

So if anyone here, maybe even Emilie, has some advide for me where to start or what to look out for, that would be amazing.

We were thinking about changing the Dejavu input to make it reset the same way a pause in the incoming clock would.

It would make Marbles a lot more predictable to me.

Thank you for any input and if I should not be able to get anything useful done, count this as two more votes for a reset input :slight_smile:

I asked about this several weeks ago and there’s actually plans to officially implement it sometime, she just has a lot of other things to take care of first. I love Marbles and might even consider a second when it’s implemented.

Wouldnt there need to be a way to define what step one is?

My idea was repurpose the right clock input as a reset input (i almost never use that input sine the left input clocks both sides).

when it receives a pulse while the sequence is locked/running it will use that step as ‘step one’
any additional pulses to that input will rest to that point.

to reset/set a new step one, uppach/repatch the cable to that jack then send it a new pulse to define the new step one.

That was just an idea.

Any other ways this has been though out to work?

Please forgive my ignorance with this question, but for me, I use Marbles as a source of random voltages and triggers which I can capture when I find something I love; the idea of “resetting with a pulse” feels like it’s trying to push Marbles more into the territory of a sequencer, which seems outside the intended functionality. To me, it is intended to generate random material, which is contradicted by the idea of specific re-triggering.

It is quite possible mind needs to be opened up on this point, but personally I use different equipment for what you are trying to get from Marbles. Can you share a patch example of how you would use this feature in a composition?

What is a sequence other than a series of values that cycles and repeats? Is that not what Marbles does when deja vu is engaged? In Marbles’ quest for controllable randomness, it has nearly all the essential ingredients of a sequencer. You can set the length and influence numerous parameters to shape what comes out, even programming your own scales.

I’m sure there’s good debate to be had in using a module only for its intended purpose, but let’s face it, Marbles lends itself well as a sequencer and does so in a way that is completely unique. It’s lovely for offering up sequences that you can lock in and modulate to provide interesting variation. A reset input is helpful for keeping it in line with other sequencers or as just another way of controlling it.

A potential way to add a reset input that I suggested was to repurpose the x clock input as the reset when both t and x sides are set to lock (I rarely clock both sides separately, and suspect this is the case for others when using it as a sequencer). May need to involve some kind of button press to switch between reset and clock input, which isn’t ideal, but I’m sure someone clever could figure out an elegant solution that doesn’t produce too many help tickets. Either way, we’ve been told it’s been requested many times and will be down the road so I’ll be waiting patiently and grateful as always for my collection of MI modules. Cheers!

I often start out a patch with getting some random rhythms or melodies from marbles, and get a loop locked in. I then use my sequencers to write sequences for other voices that the random material form marbles inspires me to do. If you have a medium/large system with multiple sequencers being clocked, it can be hard to get everything in sync with what you feel step one on the random marbles pattern should be. I Often patch and repatch the clock signal going into marbles but it is very hard to get it at just the right point, especially if your using any of marbles internal clock mult/division, it often feels like it’s by luck when I get it, and it takes some time to get. . Having a reset function where you can first decide what you want step one to be, then the ability to reset to that point with a trigger would be very useful for me.

1 Like

I wonder how would step 1 be defined though? When you lock a random loop, naturally your ear/brain hears what step one should be. It might not be on the step you happened to lock the melody on, it changes depending on the random notation, it might be in the middle for example.
Reset will be pointless on this module if you can’t define what ‘step one’ is in the random generated sequence IMO.

Thanks @blogic12 for your description of your workflow, and how this reset would help you make your music. I do essentially the same thing that you do, with one major difference. I use Marbles to create random things until I find one I like, at which point I record it (in my case, into Protools.). I then derive a clock from that Marbles sequence (although sometimes I am clocking Marbles first, from a master clock from Protools, if I have a better idea of where I’m exploring) and use the recorded sequence to build my other parts on top of, both additional sequences and editorially. This way, or course, the “1” is wherever I happen to hear the “1”, and I build from there. Obviously, this is not a workflow for live performance, but rather recording.

I wonder if there isn’t some clever trick for your patch and unpatch workflow using something like Branches, to interrupt the clock at a known interval?

Thanks for sharing your workflow - I can clearly see what your use case is.