Regulated power supply

Hi

I have a power supply that I changed the cable on that is within the range of. 7.5 to 9 volts but it creates a distorted noise on both my anushri and shruthi ( they work fine with another power supply I have a swicthabke voltage one)

An ideas what could cause this ?

Possibly interference from the wire joins where I soldered 1 lead to another and electrical taped it ?

Also I hae found a power supply locally but it is switchable 9 volt is a setting and it goes up to 1000ma but it is regulated.

I don’t know what the difference is between regulated and unregulated but the wiki talks about unregulated power supplies so is this one ok ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-12w-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-l82bf

Regulated: puts out the recommended Voltage with or without load
Unregulated: puts out a higher voltage to ensure that the output matches the recommeded Voltage under load
Disadvantage of unregulated PSU is, that if you use a cheapo 9V/12V it may be possible the output is too high for the regulators and kill them (12V likely/9V less likely, except extreme cheap crap)

Conclusion: buy a regulated, be safe, even if it costs a few bucks more

P.S.: not every PSU is capable for the use with audio devices, sometimes testing is the way to go…
P.P.S.: holy cow, 13 pound for an unregulated PSU ? For this price you can get here in Germany easily a regulated

No that one is regulated I believe that’s what I was checking I regulated was a good thing

Specifications:
Input Voltage:
AC 230V, 50Hz
Input Power Plug:
UK 3 Pin Mains Plug
Output Voltage:
3, 4.5, 5, 6, 9, 12V
Output Current:
1A (1000mA)
Output Voltage Type:
Variable
Regulated Output:
Yes
Polarity:
Centre Positive
Reversible Polarity:
Yes
Number of Tips or Sockets:
Output Tips/Socket Type:
2.35 x 0.7 x 10.5mm
5.0 x 2.1 x 12mm
3.5 x 1.4 x 10mm
5.5 x 2.1 x 12mm
4.0 x 1.7 x 9.5mm
5.5 x 2.5 x 12mm
4.75 x 1.7 x 9.5mm
6.3 x 3.0 x 14mm
Output Power Cord Length:
1.6m
Dimensions:
81(l) x 30.5(w) x 65(d) mm
Weight:
110g

It is a little dearer than eBay but not much in it and if there’s any problems easy to return

> An ideas what could cause this ?

The power supply does not deliver enough current so you have “motorboating”?

Yeah motorboating sounds about right, I checked the voltage so I knew it wasn’t that.

Oh just for clarity the spec Sheet I posted is for the new one I’m considering buying not the old one

How many mA’s does the old one produce?