Raspberry Pi Zero, cheapo Pi

It’s a new tiny cheap Pi

Pi Zero

Could be good for something?

I still haven’t found a musical use for my other PI… it’s great as a file server though :slight_smile:

It’s the slightly closed nature of the hardware which stops the more creative Linux-less uses for it.

usb midi router!

@herrprof: Pretty much what I was thinking too. as long as the USB on the go port can have a USB hub plugged in, that should work just fine. If it can work as a midi manager on start up without any extra input that would need a screen, that would be perfect for 5 dollars.

It’s a pity that there are no good midi sequencer applications for linux. I’ve tried them all and none did satisfy me. the PI would be great to make a small and midi sequencing workstation…

The RPI2 runs Windows 10 quite well, apparently. Are there MIDI sequencing workstations for Windows that could be used? But then, why not just use a cheap laptop?

Yes, why run Windows on a machine when you don’t have to :wink:

a|x

Oh no please, not Windows! I don’t have a problem with it in general. Have been using it for work for years and there’s things I prefer over Mac in it (at least until Windows 7, haven’t been using any of the later ones). But for anything music-related it’s been plain horror to me!

Somebody should just take up working on Seq24, that’s a great sequencer, too bad it’s still stuck in the 90s interface-wise. Maybe I should get some people to work on it and do the interface redesign.

You can run Bitwig on Ubuntu Linux. Maybe we should start emailing them about an ARM / Pi build?

@BennelongBicyclist Please keep in mind that the version of Windows 10 that the Pi 2 can run is not the full Windows 10, but rather the ARM version which almost no major commercial software packages support.

>It’s a pity that there are no good midi sequencer applications for linux.

Install ST emulator and Cubase :slight_smile:

But I’m sure you meant “modern” midi seqs.

@6581punk: well yes “modern” and good (though good is a very vague term admittedly). The best thing would probably be something like seq24, but with a more usable UI…

What kept me from using the pi as a music tool was

1. it takes too long to boot
  2. I can’t just switch it off without doing damage to the installation

If 8 tracks are good enough, LittleGPTracker runs well on the gen 1 pi, so should also run great on this.

@herrprof: well being limited to 8 tracks can be a good thing too! Need to check that. Why does it come as an .exe file?

That’s just how its built… linux will run any file as an executable if you tell it to

You can change it to be something else if it bothers you. I just kept it how it was because it got wrapped in the lgpt.sh startup script i made anyways.

t2k> @BennelongBicyclist Please keep in mind that the version of Windows 10 that the Pi 2 can run is not the full Windows 10, but rather the ARM version which almost no major commercial software packages support.

Really? Makes sense since cross-compilation would be needed to run on ARM. That’s effing useless, then. I’m not recommending Windows - I hate it - I only mentioned it because @rumpelfilter couldn’t find what he wanted to run on linux. But Windows on RPi isn’t an option either. What about iOS sequencer apps, then?

There are some really decent DAWs and step sequencers for the iPad. Korg Gadget is a lot of fun and can also output MIDI if I’m not mistaken. Sternberg’s Cubasis is probably the more complete and traditional option. GaragBband is actually pretty good.

But my recommendation for when you want a small computer to run a sequencer is to get a second-hand 11" MacBook Air.

You also have a few other options