Random bugs when accessing the library

Hi,

I purchased an ambika a few weeks ago and experienced since random problems with the library. Sometimes, when I select or save a patch, one or several of the following bugs appear :

• some random characters are displayed on screen
  • the page becomes unresponsive
  • the LCD turns off
  • the ambika doesn’t respond anymore

Having heard a lot about sd card issues, I naively assumed that changing the card could fix the problem. So I bought a new card, but the problem remains (actually it’s worse, I can’t even navigate through the patches). My question is: have you ever encounter such a behaviour ? Could that be just an sd card issue or is it definitely hardware related ?

Seems more hardware related than the more common SD card issues.

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of… From the description of the problem, does anybody have any hint about what could be wrong ? I didn’t build the unit and unless the fix is trivial, I’m not sure I can do anything about it (I’m really not into electronics…) :frowning:

Are you sure the problems are only there when you access memory?

Yes, everything works fine except that.

You should check if the soldering on the SD card slot, ic2 and ic3 is ok. And if those ic s are good in their sockets. And the same goes for the Atmega.

Thanks for the help. The ic’s and the Atmega are good in their sockets. Regarding the soldering… well, it’s hard for me to judge… All I can say is that I don’t see obvious problems. One thing I noticed though is that when I proceed very slowly with the library (not moving too fast through the patches, waiting a little between two operations, etc.) the ambika tends to be less buggy. It makes me think that the data transfer is heating up something which doesn’t like it…

sorry to dig this post back up. but im having the same issues. did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Is the TI 74HC4050E not functional for the sd card?