Psu

The PSU I ordered from Mouser arrived today, getting the rails in a day or two, then I’ll start designing a case :slight_smile:

Connecting to a bussboard (BB) to the Mean Well - +5 to the +5 … +12 (V2) to +12 on the BB … V3 to the 12 on the BB? Is that right? Com Com or earth.

Also, the earth on the AC side of the unit, where should I hook that up to? My case will be made of wood…

Any help would be, and always is, appreciated :slight_smile:

@Adam I am on the same boat as you but I could not find the time start the build my case or LittleDieter yet.

But I found this long thread at muffs about wiring

Thanks cereyanlimusiki :slight_smile: I gather from the muffs this is how my wiring should be>>>

All my cases are wood and I did not make that connection. I started a long thread here about this and I still feel like there is not a definitive answer.

@Sammy I think some people (quite rightly) might be reluctant to answer questions concerning the wiring of high voltage equipment, especially to people like me who know next to nothing about electrics/electronics…if that is the case, a little caveat for them>>>

I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY OWN ACTIONS WHEN ACTING ON ADVICE GIVEN BY MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM AND ABSOLVE ANY MEMBER OF RESPONSIBILITY FOR INFORMATION GIVEN AND ACTED UPON BY ME THAT IS TO MY DETRIMENT.

:smiley:

Off topic, I really cannot decide what case to build. Some people say I should start with a 3U skiff, others suggest going for 6U 104hp…I am tempted to build something like this

@Adam

Have you seen this ?

Also @fcd72 was working on different size modular cases to offer MI community

@cereyanlimusiki

Some nice cases there! I do like the idea of a 6U 84hp briefcase…another thought, why do I need to spend £50 on two pairs of rails? Surely I could just use would and screw the modules to that?

You really shouldn’t mess with mains voltages if you don’t know how do it. Seriously, you could kill yourself.

Anyway not sure COM should be connected to earth.

All my cases are setup without com connected to earth.

Here is a long conversation I started for another issue, but it eventually became a conversation directly related to your question.

I will do the same as you Sammy123…the muff wigglers forum you linked to just confused me even more lol

The main point here is that protective earth is not the same thing as ground (in DC currents)

Adam. Just make sure you check all your voltages after you get it all hooked up to make sure it’s all correct.

@rumpelfilter
To be exact AC Protective Earth its the same as “Ground” (as in beneath your Feet) but Secondary Side DC “GND” is not the same as Protective Earth/Ground - although they are expected to be on the same potential seen from any perspective.

Thanks Sammy and all

I am only in the first stages of getting a Eurorack system together, it may be some time before I can afford to actually put modules in the case :smiley: Thanks for the suggestion Sammy, I’ll check everything thoroughly.

I would still like to know more about this whole grounding thing. I will earth the PSU on the AC side using the mains cable…but as to earthing anywhere else, I have know idea!

Wired the PSU and turned it on, just to see if it worked, it does, but is the high pitched wine normal?

Is it very faint? Once you have modules hooked up it should go away. The RT-65B and t-60B are both pretty quiet.

Your PSU cries because it has no work to do …… bot don’t worry - it won’t do any harm.

Adam, did you wire them the same way you said you would wire them in the picture?

I only supplied power to the PSU Shabax, hooked up the live, neutral and earth in the appropriate fashion :slight_smile: fcd72, I did wonder if it was something like that…it being upset from not being under load.