Prophet 12 or Prophet VS

Apple does interesting things, but it’s all still just ARM.

System on a chip isn’t custom. It’s just a bunch of components backed into a single chip to save space.

The real problem the Amiga had was the people who designed the chips moved on mostly and Commodore was a dysfunctional company.

FWIW, I just watched a vid of the insides of the P12 and they all have the DSI 120 “synth on a chip”. What’s interesting is the P02 filters are discrete.

Looks yummy…now i want one - jeezzzz !

@nightworxx, do it. Totally worth it

Got a link to said video? Guess I could JFGI but I figured it might be hosted somewhere odd or something.

Nope, JFGI. I was actually really surprised they used the 120 again. That horse has been beaten clear past the Walking Dead. It’s also in their DS01 module.

@qp: go and mess with my wife and my bank ! :wink:

Ohh, cool channel that! It seems the DSI 120 is just the top row marking on the true stereo PA-397 CEM-3396 successor, made by the late great Doug Curtis in cooperation with Dave Smith.

Also noteworthy, the Prophet 12 uses a MeanWell switch mode PSU. Good choice, they’re probably really affordable in bulk, plus you don’t have to deal with any high-voltage circuit design yourself saving lots of CE/UL/FCC and such certification work.

@jojjelito it’s true there’s a curtis filter in there. The DSM01 is a fantastic sounding module. But, as true with moog also, the same filter design was getting a bit dull. Now, having owned a Tetra and Mopho, the Pro 2 filter sounds better. Although it could just be the Pro 2 oscillators sound better than those crappy DCO’s. Oh and they put the same PS in the Pro 2 as well. I’m tellin ya, I do not have any reregrets buying it. It’s seriously an amazing synth. With 2 saw waves slightly detuned it sounds spot on to a Pro One.

King of all CEM chips….

That’s what they were planning to use in the Vakov, but instead and unexpectedly they turned to Vactrols for the analog filters. Everything I’ve heard so far sounds a bit punch-drunk.

I was wondering when frank would pull that one out and wave it ever so flickrly in our face.

Anyone now wants to hear my real opinion about filters?

@fcd72: Yes, I want to hear your opinion about filters.

Filters are overrated :wink:
Honestly, filters are a bit yesterday, its just what you got used too.
Why do you need a coloring filter? Because you only have boring Oscillators.
If you have an interesting Synthesis of waveforms there is no need to filter out the harmonics if you are able to influence them in another way. Theres so much about synthesis that works perfectly without any Filter and these sounds are always on the fresh, new side. Personally i more and more use my Ripples as a simple VCA and only patch it by habit at the end of the chain, not touching the resonance and using it as simple EQ. Maybe its just a phase but somehow i for bored by the good ole Filtersweep……

@fcd, agreed. I have a couple of filters in my Eurorack and Id say I use them about 20% of the time. It’s far more interesting and dificult to get amazing sounding synthesis without the use of a filter (albeit a LPG). With that said, when it comes to a synthesizer, a filter is very important. I’m sure we can agree that a Curtis Filter sounds different than a Bob Filter souls different than a Roland filter sounds different than a… when I use a keyed synth its for a specific duty. The modular can be churning out all kinds of awesomeness. Send in the synthesizer to help tie everything together. So basically when I’m constantly building my modular, I’m looking for modulation, sequensation, oscillation, oddiation, gateation, wtfation. Rarely do I seek out a filter. When I’m looking into a synthesizer, the filter is almost paramount to the rest.

I am of the same mind set; I hope it is already obvious. :wink:

I do tend to use filters as more of an EQ or anti-aliasing filter to make sounds fit better instead of just hogging up the whole harmonic spectrum. I am also a fan of using filters as a LPG instead of just a standard filter. With the JX-8P the filter and amp tend to share the same envelope for a more natural sound - especially with percussion. The 4PM on the Shruthi is too perfect for adding motion to a sound. These are tasks far outside of what a regular low pass filter can achieve. So there are plenty sounds you can make with a filter, but it isn’t as important as most would have you believe. Most telling is that the first “artist pack” of patches released for the Novation BS2 had very few patches where the filter played any part in making the actual sound. Most were just oscillator settings.

@fcd72: I will admit that the filters in the K5k are always used in my patches, but I definitely don’t consider additive oscillators with an envelope per harmonic boring. If you want a good synthesizer with no filters at all, I can suggest the Kawai K1 to you. You have to get pretty creative with the envelopes and ring modulator.

@qp: Yeah, I understand the idea of a filter being more important to a static synthesizer. The best example I can think of are the Junos as even small changes to the filter cutoff and resonance totally changes the sound.

One last thing, I think that filters tend to sound better when they are unique. Trying to imitate something is either not close at all or stale in most cases.

@audiohoarder
which k1 should i retrace from the vault the K1r or the K1 Keyboard? Really looove the LoFi Fairlighty RöchelSounds™
In fact the oscillators in the K5 are super boring - its just that these are so many and all have an envelope :wink:

So can we boil it down to Filters are crucial for bread and butter sounds which are especially found in PolySynths whereas in the open realms of modular synthesis the classic use of a Lowpass Filter (of any kind) is next to obsolete?

@fcd72: Just keep the K1r on a side table by your VS. After some time, tell me honestly if the raw VS oscillators sound better than the raw K1r oscillators.
I do suppose that a plain sine wave would be boring itself, but that isn’t the point of additive synthesis. That is like having a 16 bit 44.1 kHz sampler and limiting yourself to 1bit at 500Hz. :wink:

Yeah, as far as modular land is concerned, the standard LPF is quite obsolete. Of course the LPF models what sounds do in real life. As they decay in volume, the higher harmonics dissipate first. When making new, alien modular sounds, it is best to avoid what sounds do in the real world. :slight_smile: