Programmers

This thread has not been created from the comments of any other thread, however, it has been made in honor of fcd72, evil words, and a host of threads that have been infected with the whole programmer thread. Programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer…programmer

that’s what happens to your posts when your YellowMagic is switched on

10 PRINT "Programmer ";
20 GOTO 10

A Classic!

I wrote my first programs on paper. With a pencil.

And I’d run them in my head.

When i was young we didnt even had programming languages…

diblert
this remembers me on school time ( long long ago) where i just wrote hex values on a paper during a exam … instead of using register defines … just for confusing the teacher … becaus i know all register and adresses :slight_smile: . of the micro controller …

i got worst note “5” for that … but later i typed this into the pc … and it was working :slight_smile:

Yikes! Long supressed memories are coming back, NOOOOOOO! I was a C programmer, and before that managed to do some IBM 370 assembler and even some 370 machine code in hex. I was such a geek. I even had a calculator that converted from decimal to hex. I think I still have a 6502 assembler manual around somewhere, just in case I need to do some low level programming for an Apple II (the last good Apple as far as I’m concerned).

Languages, we didn’t need no stinkin’ languages, we programmed on the bare metal!

That was before even my time! Not by much 'though. When those things came out, I coudln’t afford something like an IMSAI or MITS ALTAIR. I do still have an 8" floppy diskette around somewhere. They really were floppy.

And when I was young, there were no computers. Eat that.

I spent hours and hours typing the Basic program Eliza into my TRS-80 Model III and saving chunks to a tape (cassette) player. It was in this book of Basic programs. It took what seemed like forever. I always wanted to learn back then, but the Radio Shack didn’t have better programming books. I was 9 then and when we got the 48k RAM update it was a few hundred dollars.

I grew up on 6502 and Z80s …
My uncle had far more fun , he worked for GHCQ/Foreign Office in the UK and was sent to the States to help build the first computers for the NSA, later he and William C. Norris employed Seymour Cray and they built this business… CDC
He is retired in the Bahamas, a godzillionaire and member of the Babbage Society, now the Charles babbage Institute.
John W. Lacey
cheers

Do you guys know what real social isolation is? Beeing the only Kid with a C= 1541 while all others around have Datasettes…

The dictionary I used in school had a definition for ‘computer’.

computer: person who does calculations, usually for insurance companies

Istran, you were either born before 1946 or 1936 or perhaps even earlier, depending on the definition of “computer” that you’re using. Fitvideo, that is really cool, your uncle must be a very special person, and probably has some great stories.

@piscione
I think it is scary … Brit S.O. sent to design American computers? Not a lot of people know that …I found a dissertation some guy was doing for his second masters and he interviewed my uncle, all about the future of supercomputers in the usa… this was 1984 , and the guy went on to be communications chief for NASA…
I will dig it out …
My uncle gave up coming across the pond quite recently but we had lunch a few years ago.
cheers