Popolu AVR programmer and Shruthi-1

Hi,
Has anyone had luck trying to use a Popolu AVR programmer (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1300) with a Shruthi-1? All I get are timeouts. I’m not trying to update the firmware below, just trying to verify that there is some sort of communication. I’m wondering if I should get an Atmel ATAVRISP2, if that would work better, in the long run? I got the same timeouts trying to communicate with a MeeBlip, there might be a pattern here. I’m doing this under Windows XP on a MacBook Pro with VMWare Fusion, avrdude on Mac OS 10.7 is complaining about compatibility issues, “Launch of “avrdude” failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported.” I was able to compile the Shruthi-1 code with Windows, I’m perfectly fine using Windows XP if Mac 10.7 is not cooperative, it’s nice having options.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator>avrdude -c avrispv2 -p m644p
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

Thanks,
Robert

you miss a lot of parameters in your command line. Where is the port? Where is the file to upload? Where are the flags?
Look at the documentation
I suppose that you want to use avrdude in command line mode, but still I guess that you’ll need to input the port correctly. In the command you c/p, you’re missing at least the port (’-P’ parameter), so no surprise the popolu is not answering.

I use a tinyusb programmer so I won’t be of much more help, but I think that the problem is not your programmer not recognizing the atmega chip, but your command lines being incomplete.

edit : the command lines I’m using on my PC are extracted from the makefiles, they are the following :
avrdude -V -p m644p -c usbtiny -P usb -B 10 -e -u -U efuse:w:0xfd:m -U hfuse:w:0xd6:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U lock:w:0x2f:m
avrdude -V -p m644p -c usbtiny -P usb -B 1 -U flash:w:shruthi1.hex:i -U flash:w:muboot.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

the B parameter is in my case specific to my programmer, not sure you can use it as is I think you can remove it. Otherwise, you’ll need to find what is your “-P” parameter and modify the “-c” parameter.

Thanks, that helped a lot, needed to add a value for -P. I’m totally new to this stuff. :slight_smile:
avrdude -p m644p -P COM3 -c avrispv2
Results:
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e960a
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
avrdude done. Thank you.

Thanks!

glad I could help!