Polychaining

Will polychaining a Shuthi-1 and a Shruti-1 be possible or will the CEM Filter board/expansion be nessesary?

I just read the other post. I think my answer is “yes, it will accept midi-in from another device”. :slight_smile:
Those black boards and green screens sure are super-spiff. But the sounds are even more delightful.

This is a tricky question indeed:

• If you want to polychain a Shruthi-1 and a Shruti-1, you’ll need to put the Shruti-1 at the end of the chain, and I still need to make a firmware modification to let it support that. The units at the beginning and at the middle of the chain have to do smart voice allocation things (“What is the optimal strategy? Play this note for myself or forward it to the next guy?”) and this takes some code that won’t fit on the Shruti-1. The last unit in the chain, on the other end, needs to be dumber than the Shruti-1 currently is… Have you noticed that the Shruti-1 “stacks” the notes? (hold C, hole E, hold G, release G, release C, you’ll hear E) This behaviour has to be disabled if you want polychaining to work, so I need to add an option for that.
  • Second thing: NRPNs! In polychaining mode, the Shruthi-1 spits a lot of NRPNs messages so that when you modify a parameter on the master units, it is propagated downstream. It looks like magic… You tweak cutoff on a unit and you see the value change on the other one too. Works well as long as you chain Shruthis… But since the Shruti-1 implementation of NRPNs is very minimal, and since the two machines do not share the same parameters, it’s likely that the Shruti-1 will not be happy with Shruthi-1 NRPNs… The solution would be to harden the NRPN reception on the Shruti-1 and add an option on the Shruthi-1 to do polychaining without parameter sync.
  • Finally, unless you’re running the Shruthi-1 with the CEM3379 board, you’ll have to keep in mind that the two voices will be different. This is not much of a problem (the samples I have recorded are with a CEM3379 Shruthi, and a SMR4 Shruthi - that’s the arbitrary name of the simple filter circuit), but some parameters are different - the resonance on the CEM3379 is really aggressive as soon as it hits 20, which is not the case on the other one.