Polychained Shruthi-1 with Duophonic mode?

Hello, I’m about to build my second Shruthi-1 and I was curious about Duo mode with Shruthi-1’s poly chained. Whats the result with lets say 2 shruthi’s chained, will I be able to sequence 4 note chords?

Well, every shruthi is one note, so you would need to chain 4 shruthi’s :slight_smile:

This is, assuming that you let the notes “die off” / reach the end of their release stage, so that you can do the next chord, otherwise, you are going to get into trouble with the last notes being cut off, so to take two successive pad type sounds 4 note chord style, you would have to polychain 8 units, which isn’t recomended due to latency issues (I’m not even sure anyone has tried…)

You could take 2 out of 4 notes, and then overdub the last two though ?

Sounds like a customer for the Ambika when that’s out.

Ahh, I see. So would end up being more like a 4 voice unison mode with a two note chord?

@6581punk, Heh, 10-4 on that man, I am having a blast with making Duo mode patch on my Shruthi. If it sound this amazing with two notes, I got to try that Ambika.

Each shruthi unit has two digital oscillators, both dedicated to one note. You don’t really hear that as two notes, you hear it as more harmonics (=more for the filter to grip onto).
Sometimes people refer to oscillators as voices (thank you, clever marketing personnel at big synth manufacturers…), and while it’s not exactly wrong per se (they do output sound after all), it does not mean that the synth is capable of playing two notes, it merely means that two oscillators can go into one note… If that made sense?

“Well, every shruthi is one note”

Except in when duo mode. Which allows you to play each of the main oscillators separately (but through the same envelope/vca/filter). This is a relatively new addition to the firmware, but I have no clue how it would work (or if it works at all) with polychaining, as i’ve not tried it myself.

The Shruthi-1 is a monosynth. Its hardware and software have been designed specifically for it to be a monosynth. Some people have asked for a duophonic mode and I implemented it, but it’s a hack, it doesn’t mesh well with the whole philosophy of the product. I have seen a few places where people advertise the Shruthi as being duophonic. Total bullshit. There’s this mode in which the lowest note is played by osc 1 and the highest by osc 2 and that’s it. Don’t take it too seriously :slight_smile:

The polychaining mode distributes one note to each unit. So if you enable the duophonic mode + polychaining on 3 units, and play a 4 notes chord, here is what will happen:

• Unit 1 will take the first note.
  • Unit 2 will take the second note.
  • Unit 3 will take the third note.
  • Unit 1 will take the fourth note (voice stealing).

So you will hear the 3 most recently played note of the chord on each unit, played only by osc 1 since they are in duophonic mode.

Interesting, so (“Unit 1 will take the fourth note (voice stealing)”) can I assume this would be the highest note played by osc 2 stealing the lower note played by osc 1?

i think pichenettes is saying it won`t work that way xtinct.

the polychain mode will give each shuthi only one note. (that it will play only on one osc if in duo mode)

Yes indeed, unit will take the fourth note - which means the first note played on osc. 1 will stop playing, and the highest note will start playing on osc. 1. Since the voice allocator distributes only one note per unit, the second oscillator will always be silent on each unit.

You’ll get more polyphony and fun out of a toy keyboard connected to the external audio input :smiley:

Oh ok, tear . Well, there will always be the Ambika.

and why is one note per unit insufficient?

because people always want more…

i don’t need more than i am able to operate at a time, means 3 fingers haha.
so i guess i need a second person to make full use of the ambika!?

Ambika has duo and mono modes that will give you 4 oscillators for each of your 3 fingers…(or 12 oscillators for just one) :slight_smile:

ambika + midipal is also a nice combination for the people like me regularly failing at playing a minor chord with 3 fingers.

@micmicmam
Just move the middle finger a bit to the left…

Which is why I stopped playing the guitar and switched to bass. There seems to be a contradiction in operating six strings with five fingers.

That’s not a bass, that’s a disfigured lyre.