Polivoks filterboard problem (no cutoff)

I’ve just finished building a Polivoks filterboard and the filter cutoff is not doing anything at all.
No sweep, no attenuation, the sound comes out as it goes in.
The weird thing is that the resonance seems to work fine as I can hear the volume dip and the sine-y tone as I turn it up.

All the parts are from mouser and I’ve built quite few shruthi boards over the years which worked as soon as I plugged them in so the only thing that could go wrong is the lm4250.

I got 20 of these chips from a russian eBay seller and they’re marked “1407”.

They seemed more trustworthy than the chinese equivalents.
Tried every single one of them and I always get the same behavior.
Maybe this IC is not a straight replacement for a LM4250?
I’ve never worked with this chip before but I understand it needs proper current biasing to work.
Anybody has any suggestions?

I can probably get a NTE888 from a reputable source, but I’m a bit unsure if this IC requires any resistor changes…

At which frequency is it? Does this frequency change when you sweep cutoff?

No it doesn’t.
It’s not a self oscillation sine tone it’s a like a constant swoosh which starts at resonance setting > 35 and stays there until about 63.
Cutoff has no effect at all.
I can have a drone (let’s jam!) playing at full volume with the cutoff set to zero.
Resonance works though, which is just feedback so I don’t think it has any correlation to the vcf behavior in my case.
Is maybe my "lm4250"s biased too high/low/wrong?

Probably, yes… but I am not familiar with those chips… Try lowering or increasing R15 or R17.

Replaced the R15 with a 50k trimpot wired as a variable resistor and played around.
The circuit is insensitive to the current (Icf) flown thru Q3 to the opamps’ pin8.
Voltage stays around -4V regardless of the trimmer setting.
I don’t know what’s going on, maybe the chips are wrong or whatever.
Since the voltage at pin8 is steady at -4V I don’t see any reason to try harder nothing seems to change.
I’ll try with the nte888 (altough I may encounter biasing issues with this as well).
Another solution would be to get a ton of lm4250s off ebay, maybe I’ll find a couple working ones.
Thanks for the help pichenettes.
If anyone has a tried source of these chips please let me know.
I’ll report back when this is fixed.

That is not a problem in itself, what matters is the current flowing in the pin, not the voltage at which it sits.

Yes voltage is irrelevant in this case…My bad!

Looking at this page :
http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/vcf_polivoks/vcf_polivoks.htm
I noticed that the KR140UD8B which I (probably) got is a uA741 equivalent which is just a single opamp, not a programmable one.
The correct soviet opamp would be the KR140UD12.
Maybe some sellers can’t tell the difference and they advertise the UD8 as an LM4250 equivalent and the UD12 as a uA776 equivalent which is not the case.
So I went a step further and tried to pop two actual 741s in there and I, of course got the same behavior so it’s not that the chips are not working they’re just not the correct ones.

I’ve ordered some UD12s, some LM4250s (chinese) and I will soon have some nte888s just to check if they can be used interchangeably.
Hopefully, I’ll get this working as soon as the correct ICs get here.

Ah, it’s good that you got an explanation why your chips didn’t work! I hope you didn’t pay too much for mere 741 clones :cry:

According to Octopart, the DIP8 LM4250 is still available from some brokers (I don’t have any experience with any of them).

Probably too late now, but I’ve had good experiences with these: 5PCS LM4250CN DIP8 LM4250 DIP neue original|Integrierte Schaltkreise| - AliExpress

They work in my Polivoks filterboard, also the seller sells other working parts, so he seems to be trustworthy.