Poke it with pitchbend

I’ve just put together a Shruthi that, broadly speaking, works - however, on boot it doesn’t respond to MIDI notes until you’ve thrown some continuous CC data (pitch bend, mod wheel etc…) at it first - happens every time. Other slight oddnesses I’ve noticed are that I get a boot screen with a 9v supply, but not with a 12v, and the 7805 is running hotter than I’d expect (might just go down to 7.5v…).

Any thoughts?

Never use a 12V without checking the real output voltage before you plug it in. Some wallwarts (especially unstabilized ones) have an output voltage up to 15V and would defintely fry ICs !

> however, on boot it doesn’t respond to MIDI notes until you’ve thrown some continuous CC data (pitch bend, mod wheel etc…) at it first – happens every time

I have a theory about this: Your controller is sending all the note messages using “running status”. This is perfectly fine according to the MIDI standard, but you cannot decode such a message unless you know the first byte of the sequence - which will of course have been sent before the keyboard is connected to the Shruthi! Sending a CC or note message forces the controller to send again the status byte, finally giving the Shruthi the context necessary to decode the message. There is no solution and another MIDI module would do the same thing. Maybe there’s an option on your controller to disable running status?

Thanks - that looks about right! I can’t find a way to stop Cubase or my interface doing this, but it’s no biggie…