Plaits Normalization Probe

Hello!

Longtime lurker, first time poster :slight_smile: My name is Tenkai, and I run Zetaohm. I released a sequencer last year named FLXS1, and I referenced mutable designs for so many things during the design process. So, thank you Olivier for your contributions! I was at Superbooth 2017, and hoped to meet you, but thats when you were sick and unable to attend.

Anywho, I wanted to ask about something I saw in the Plaits ADC input design. You have a “Normalization Probe” and I just wanted to verify with you what I assume is going on, and also have a question…

It appears that this circuit is designed to allow you to actively sense the connection of a cable into any of the ports by pinging the normalization input of all ADCs simultaneously (between ADC reads, I assume) with a 3v3 signal.

My question is:

With the 1n caps on some of the ADC inputs, and a .2ms settling time for a 3v3 ping, how are you able to achieve a 2khz DC input, and also check for normalization? I would assume that checking for normalization would require that a ping be sent, and one ADC sample would be lost.

The “normalization probe” signal is pseudo-random noise, generated at the same rate as the ADC sampling.

If ADC reads match the pseudo-random noise (no more than 2 mismatches in 32 consecutive reads), I know that no patch cable is inserted in the corresponding input. https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack/blob/master/plaits/ui.cc#L368

Nothing happens “in-between” samples.

The ADC sample rate is 4kHz (250µs), and the 90% settling time of the 1-pole filter on the CV inputs (33kΩ, 1nF) is 76µs.

Ah, that makes sense! So you can simply use the same read operation to determine if the jack is connected or not. That is quite ingenious. Thank you for the explanation!

This IS clever…