Plaits and Keystep Issue

Hello everybody,

I’m new to this forum and to Eurorack in general.
I recently purchased an Arturia Keystep and I’ve been trying to connect it to my Plaits module.

Overall, everything works. When I connect the Keystep’s Gate to the Plait’s Triger CV, I can only play short notes. It sounds perfectly fine when sequencing/playing around with the Arp.

When I connect the Gate to the Volume CV, I can play long notes but each time I stop playing, the last note sustains forever and I have no idea why/how to fix it.

I would love your input.

Thanks in advance!

Plaits’ internal envelope is not a substitute for a proper ADSR envelope and VCA - which will give you more flexibility.

Plaits output → VCA audio input.
Keystep’s Gate → ADSR gate input.
ADSR output → VCA CV input.

Probably because the Gate output from the Keystep does not exactly reach 0V when you release the key.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.
I thought it was probably a lack of VCA but wasn’t sure.

Just to be sure the main ingredient you’re missing is an adsr envelope module. Gate just sends on/off information. The adsr envelope allows you to shape how you want the volume to evolve over time.

A minimalist setup would be gate out into adsr gate input then adsr output into Plaits level input.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I thought the VCA was the main issue because the gate doesn’t close completely as of now.

If the ADSR envelope is enough, why would I need (for this setup specifically) a VCA?

You don’t need a VCA.

The plaits level input functions as a vca (with some extra minor filtering).