Plaits - a few experimental features

Changes:

• Powering the module on while pressing the right button enables a “color-blind” mode in which a different brightness level is used to distinguish the first and second group of models.
  • The frequency range/octave setting has a new setting (represented by a “chasing lights” pattern) for LFO operation. In LFO mode, the FREQUENCY knob goes from about 0.015 Hz (1 minute) to about 16 Hz. Many models behave… very strangely at low frequency!

How to update:

• Press the first button when powering the module on.
  • Audio signal must be sent to the MODEL CV input.
  • FREQUENCY controls the signal level.

plaits.wav.zip (1.2 MB)

While I have been only barely able to resist purchasing Plaits, thank you for your consideration of “color-blind” users. It’s bad enough that we have to look at many people’s silly color combinations when they dress themselves, but struggling with LEDs can be a pain. Strange LFOs are always intriging…congrats on making Plaits sound even more appealing!

Is there any calibration required after the firmware update?

Excited to give this a shot over the weekend!

God no!

Update: today I have modified the file to include a bug fix - heavy FM could cause the inharmonic string model to become unstable.

Thanks a lot Pichenettes!

I really appreciate the additional features - the LFO opens new territory. I’m having lots of fun, thank you!

Yes - thank you very much for this - great - merci beaucoup!!!

Just updated…still unclear as how to activate LFO mode.

Hold the right button and turn the harmonics knob. This will shift octave range indicated by yellow lights. Turn it all the way counterclockwise, you’ll get chasing lights. LFO mode unlocked!

Am I correct in assuming that I must power up in color blind mode before being able to access LFO mode?

No - you don’t have to - start your module as normal as always if you don’t want to use the color blind mode and after hold down the B button and turn the harmonics knob. This will shift octave range indicated by yellow lights. Turn it all the way counterclockwise, you’ll get chasing lights. LFO mode unlocked!

I don’t have a Plaits but i find this update really wonderful just for the reason it implements the changes for people who are color-blind. This really makes me love MI even more :slight_smile:

ps: i can see all color’s

Yes - I totally agree - MI very human…

Thank you!

In other news, the code and hardware description files are now public.

Great Olivier!

I just figured out that I was only able to compile the bootloader after changing the line 182 in “bootloader.cc”:

void InitializeReception() {
decoder.Init(1000);
// decoder.Init(1000, true);

because decoder.Init() accepts only 1 argument.
Do I have a broken setup or did I miss something important?
Sorry for bothering…

Oops, the version of stm_audio_bootloader referenced in the git repo is not the latest one. go to stm_audio_bootloader and git pull. It really needs the extra argument!

Thank you Olivier!
Since stm_audio_bootloader is a submodule I had to use
git pull origin master
git checkout master

to make it working. Now everything is fine!!