Phase locked loop with MI Blinds

I have spent the day trying to patch up a phase locked loop (PLL) with building block modules and I thought I’d share!

From my experience it is far easier to patch up than it is to understand the theory behind how it works.

Ingredients:
2 x oscillators (best to start with squarish waveforms and work from there)
1 x slew (I used MI Stages in orange mode)
1 x ring modulator
1 x polariser / inverter (not necessary if you invert with MI Blinds, WMD Triple bipolar VCA, Doepfer A-133 etc)

I find the sound to be a great compliment to the primary tone. Depending how the settings are adjusted it can be smooth or savage.

Basic diagram of PLL patch (note invert not needed if using blinds - set small attenuverter to negative)

Good video explanation of how PLL works and is patched up.

Mylarmelodies take on PLL

4 Likes

Lol! Awesome! What’s your minimum overshoot and undershoot during phase capture? Now make a transparent latch from VCA’s :0)

PLL’s make the world go fast :0)

I found that just using Disting’s logic algorithm set to XOR as a phase comparator, works about as well as an A-196. Which is to say: it can be really fiddly and unreliable, but usually in fun and interesting ways. :smiley:

Yes, ‘fun and interesting ways’ is the aim.

To this end: I have found that both MI Peaks and Stages sound good in ‘tap’ and ‘looping lfo’ mode respectively when triggered by an oscillator.

Unlike a multi module PLL patch, these modules share the advantage that they are quick to set up.

I’ve never owned Tides, but have noticed it has pll capacity.