Performance mode?

@pichenettes:

The performance mode has been removed from the 1.0 firmware. Would you consider bringing it back in a further version?

I find it most convenient to be able to assign chosen parameters to the 4 knobs, and I believe I’m not the only one in vue of the patches that other users have shared on this forum (the default knob assignment is a compromise that cannot be appropriate to every patch).

Thanks.

This is not possible. This allows some space to be reclaimed to save extra patch info like portamento settings.

Yes, I am sticking with version .97 for now. I didn’t need the sequence and portamento memory. I do however, use the performance page to tweak mod matrix parameters very quickly. It is also similar to the 4 assignable knobs on the K5000, and that is a feature I use plenty on that one.

Not that it is a direct replacement, but this change is what motivated me to add CV1-4 inputs as joystick + pots so that I have assignable controls. It is a bittersweet loss for me, so I still am using 0.97 for now, too.

>>Yes, I am sticking with version .97 for now. I didn’t need the sequence and portamento memory. I do however, use the performance page to tweak mod matrix parameters very quickly. It is also similar to the 4 assignable knobs on the K5000, and that is a feature I use plenty on that one.

I’ll stick to 0.97 too. In my opinion the loss of the assignable controllers is too hard a trade off for features I don’t need.
**_

I need assignable knobs to make the Shruthi respond to my playing the keyboard exactly how I want: I use an operator = velocity*envelope as a source in the modulation matrix to control a parameter (e.g. filter cut-off), and I use an assignable knob to control the depth of that modulation so that I can adjust how much the envelope depth is affected by my playing according to my mood: when I feel nervous I want to reduce the sensitivity, when I want more expression I increase it.

Sorry for the headache if my explanation seems confusing: the programming is a bit tricky but once the patch is programmed, using it in an expressive and musical manner is very simple and straightforward. To feel ‘hands on’ what I mean, load the ‘New Drone’ patch I have uploaded in the ‘patch sharing’ section. Just tweak knob 4 in performance mode while playing the keyboard soft and hard, and listen to how that knob controls how much the dynamics of your playing affects the sound.
**_

Btw, I also own a K5000. Unfortunately it’s a K5000W which does not have the 4 user controllers. I mean not only it doesn’t have knobs (which could be replaced by the Macro Control Box or a MIDI controller), but a patch memory does not store the USER1-4 controls assignments, contrary to the K5000R and S :frowning:

But I make up for it by using the 6 assignable knobs of my Yamaha EX5 heavily :wink:

Your explanation makes sense. I also have a few routing preprogrammed in my “blank” patch.
I can use a DAW to get around the lack of a performance page, but there are a few patches that really make heavy use of focusing on four knobs. I’m not just assigning filter controls after all.

Also, when you do get yourself a K5000S, you will already have double the polyphony, yay! :slight_smile:

@audiohoarder

If you know about a K5000R in good condition for sale, please let me know :wink:

Not one I can think of recently, sorry about that. They are common though, and I haven’t been looking for one.

As the version 1.0 was mainly developed for the XT it somehow makes sense to remove the performance page as nearly everything is in direct control now.
On the other hand: if you plan to use OS 1.0 with your “old” Shruthi it can be frustrating, agreed.

So, in a sense, on newer firmwares, it is not possible to change what four knobs do when changing patches ?

No.

But, i can assign modwheel to lfo1 speed ? Or use CC ?

Of course you can, through the mod matrix!

Since I had to look at andre’s old shruthi firmware guide to see how to set the performance knobs I thought I would post it here again for future reference:
-adjust parameter to be assigned
-hold S2
-release S2
-turn knob that parameter should be assigned to

Hi guys, sorry for bringing this back to life :slight_smile: I just got a Shruthi (first post here too).

I’ve checking about the performance mode, and I’d be really interested. I have downgraded to 0.97 but I’ve seen some of the patches i had with 1.02 don’t load anymore. Questions:

• Where can i found the changelog for versions 0.97 to 1.02 to see what I would miss if downgraded? Just found this from @pichenettes but it’s only up to 0.97 https://github.com/pichenettes/shruthi-1/blob/master/RELEASES

• Since it’s been long since last post, are there any news about being able to implement performance mode in 1.02? (maybe someone has modified the firmware, I guess not, but just asking)

Thanks guys!

Ok, just found the changelog (https://mutable-instruments.net/archive/shruthi/firmware/). So i guess patches stored in higher versions cannot be loaded in previous?