PENROSE. A new quantizer DIY module from Sonic Potions

PENROSE A new quantizer DIY module from Sonic Potions.

Looking good!

Stairs and tiles!

One thing I’ve found to be very handy with a quantizer is some sort of transpose input. It’s great to be able to program a bass sequence and hit a key or use another sequencer to trigger a key change.

Yes you’ll need a mixer for that here… but very nice one anyway and i’m getting it :slight_smile:

@shiftr, never underestimate how lacking I am in basic knowledge. How would a mixer help in this situation?

mix 2 cv signals together :slight_smile:
one is your melody generator … the other a cv for transposing the sequence… feed into quantizer and out comes your transposing bassline CV

A links will be great for this.

This looks interesting!

a|x

Thanks @shiftr. I’m still stuck thinking mixers are for audio only.

The problem with mixers is that it might be hard to get them to do 1:1 gain (Shades can because it uses 0.1% resistors). So it’s still better to do the transposition in software in the quantizer…

Sonic Potions going eurorack? Guess I’m in.

yeah, a transpose input would have been a good idea.

still, this is most welcome news. especially since i never got the barton simple quantizer to run properly.

I was planning to bid on an Intellijel uScale on eBay, but got the auction end day wrong and missed it, unfortunately. Penrose looks a bit like a cut-down version of the uScale, to me.

The lack of a transpose input puts me off a bit, too.

I’m struggling a bit with some basic Euro concepts. For example, is there actually an agreed, standard mapping of voltages to notes? I mean, if I had several VCO modules, all with their tuning controls set to a centre value, and I patched the same pitch CV into all of them, would they play exactly the same note (assuming they’d all been properly calibrated)?

a|x

Sort of. Standard is 1v/oct so the pitch of each VCO would move the same amount as you play the keyboard. But, when you say “centre value,” if you mean they all start out at the same pitch, then they would stay more or less in tune if they are calibrated properly. I don’t know if it’s possible to get all (analogue) VCOs to stay 100% in tune with each other across the entire range of hearing without some fancy pitch correction stuff going on internally.

@piscione I hmm, OK…
I must say, I find it a bit weird that (if what you’re saying is true), there’s no actual voltage>note mapping defined in the Euro standard. I guess I’m just so used to hitting a key, and getting a particular note, every time, and getting the same note if I hit the same key on another device…

@pichenettes are all your modules that support 1v/Oct tuned identically (i.e. are there ‘centre-values’ for osc pitch setting, and will they all produce the same note, with the same pitch CV voltage)?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

a|x

@toneburst, I found it kinda odd at first too. I’m really just a piano player, kinda used to walking up to a keyboard and hitting middle C and getting middle C (more or less). But any synth, even the usual suspects, need to be tuned to some reference value first. There is no default pitch value. In the old days, when I would play a Minimoog, for example, I would hit middle C on the keyboard and tune the first VCO and then tune the other VCOs. I could decide to tune a second VCO as an interval instead of unison.

This allows you to have whatever reference pitch you want and is much more versatile. For example, on the stuff I’m working on for my Soundcloud page, I’m using a CV sequencer. The sequencer is just spitting out CVs, not an actual pitch. I run the CV into a quantizer to get standard invervals out of it, and then run it into a VCO. If the VCO had a preset standard pitch, I would also need to dial in the key of the sequencer first. Since I can just tune the VCO to whatever root pitch I want, it saves me using another module. And, I can run the same sequence into a different VCO and get intervals or whatever.

You get your head around it fairly quickly once you start playing with it.

> @pichenettes are all your modules that support 1v/Oct tuned identically (i.e. are there ‘centre-values’ for osc pitch setting, and will they all produce the same note, with the same pitch CV voltage)?

The note produced depends on the CV on the V/Oct input, and the value set on the COARSE/FINE frequency knobs.

With these knobs set to their middle position and a CV of 1V, you get C1 (or C2) ; 3V and you get C3 (or C4).

Of course the module needs to be calibrated.

Simple Doepfer A-185-2 Precision Adder is fantastic tool for mixing CVs from sequencers, keyboards or control units (quantizers, pressurepoints, etc) to do transposing on the fly. It’s great for running, say, Rene, as the main sequencer and then adding transpositions to that from a keyboard. Or running metropolis and rene together, at different rates so that one runs the short riff and one runs the longer term chord progression.

penrose kits are now available in the sonic postions shop for eur 95 + shipping.

i just placed my order. i already have some ideas what to do with it, tides and elements. :slight_smile: