Peaks firmware update, release candidate

I’ve spent a day addressing a couple of minor bug fixes:

• 808 HH model sometimes produces a distorted noise when the module is powered on.
  • Tap tempo LFO might skip pulses when similar patterns are sent to both inputs (the bug occurs when triggers are detected exactly at the same sample on both inputs).
  • Knob stability issue in sequencer mode.

The first two issues were related to CPU overload, and the way of addressing that has resulted in a complete overhaul of the I/O and buffering code, leaving much more “headroom” in terms of CPU use. A side effect will be that adding features or moving code around will no longer break CPU intensive features like the 808 HH (as it was the case in DMC).

“Temporarily hosted here”:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/612135/peaks_1.1rc.wav

(If you read this after the first week of june, just check the Mutable Instruments site).

Peaks and Sustain level

Thank you!

Hi. I’ve got a feature request.

Would it be possible in expert mode to be able to use the adsr function mode with a trigger instead of a gate, and vis versa ?

triggers works with AD envelope but then it’s not possible anymore to use another function for the second trigger input. or maybe I’m wrong and there is a work around.

thanks

I’m not sure how you would control an ADSR with a trigger? How do you tell it that the release portion should be started?

If you are looking to create a decay envelope, set attack to min, sustain and decay to max and release to the desired value.

with no gate length there is no sustain period on an ADSR. However I imagine with something digital that the sustain could be replaced with a hold where the sustain is a time parameter rather than level for sustain.

So with a trigger you get ATTACK DECAY HOLD RELEASE. So I imagine it’s possible but it’s not how ADSRs work.

thanks guys. I understand now how a gate is required in an adsr envelop.

So it would need another function… or I need to get a gate sequencer.

is Just Friends an envelop generator and Peaks an ADSR envelop ? so the former can handle triggers and the later need gates ?

You get different types of envelope generators. All of them are essentially just something that can create a shape when told to. I don’t Just Friends too well but I think these are two stages that just rise and fall. Which would be “AR” Attack Release.

Envelope generators generator slopes across different stages. You can get single stage envelope that are just Decay envelopes. Like the Doepfer Quad Decay module. Then two stage envelopes are common from formats like Serge and Buchla that create a rise and fall or attack and release or even attack and decay (as it’s sometimes called).

An ADSR is four stages attack, decay, sustain release. These need a gate to work. So when the gate is active the envelope will rise, then fall through the decay time to the sustain level (sustain is a level control not length) and then when the gate ends the release stage is active. If the gate length isn’t long enough to complete the attack and decay stage it will move to the release stage as soon as the gate ends.

You can get longer stage envelopes such as an AHDSR which is attack hold decay sustain release. Or more complex envelopes generators that work in different ways. But they all come under the envelope generator category.

Hope that helps with some clarity.

Where are your triggers coming from currently? Knowing your current patching would help figure out how best to make use of ADSRs in your set up.

Peaks is either:

• A dual ADSR envelope - the envelope starts going back to 0V at the rate set by the release time setting, as soon the gate goes back to 0V. So it doesn’t work well with short triggers.
  • A dual AD envelope - the envelope only reacts to the rising edge of the trigger/gate, and continues its cycle even when the trigger/gate goes back to 0.

I see what you want to do - use one channel as AD, another for drums or LFO, but Peaks doesn’t allow you to do that.

thanks for your explanation

my “triggers” comes from Tempi.

exactly. I’ll figure a way to use it as it is. thanks

You can use the dual / expert mode to make each channel function differently though … having re-read the post is that not what you want @Aroom?

@ben_hex: no this won’t work for him because in expert mode the envelopes behave as ADSRs, so they don’t work with triggers. What he needs is the simple AD on one channel (with the 2 bottom knobs doing nothing), and another full-featured function on another channel.

yep, but as Pichenettes mentioned, AD envelops are not accessible in twin / expert mode. in twin /expert mode you have ADSR

and in split mode, its just one function for both triggers input.

edit : pichenettes was quicker :rocket:

ah ok, read most of this wrong. My bad!

As I said, you can abuse an ADSR as a D envelope when you set sustain and decay to max and attack to min and use release as your decay control. I do that with peaks all the time. You just can’t have an attack phase.

I’ve been trying it, but it would make my VCA clic. and I couldn’t manage to remove the clic with the Attack.

Sorry i am confused: after installing a fw update on peaks, do i have to calibrate? Understood that this depends on which version i have, but i cannot find clear statements how to check.

Peaks manual says nothing about such necessitiy (ok, while writing/searching further i at least found out why ^^).
ty

If you have never installed DMC: no, you don’t have to recalibrate. If you have installed DMC, I’ll let BennelongBicyclist answer, as I don’t know what DMC does to the settings/calibration data.

Yeah, you’ll need to recalibrate if you’ve had DMC installed and your Peaks lacks trimpots.

I’m still with the factory fw. Thanks for the clarification so far.

Out of curiosity or if i gonna try DMC: No trimpots -> calibrate, trimpots -> everything’s gonna be fine switching the firmwares back and forward?!

If your Peaks doesn’t have trimpots, don’t install DMC yet - it needs to be updated with the in-firmware calibration code that was released last year for Peaks (hardware) v3, which lacks trimpots.