PCB board handler

Hi,
I need a PCB handler, something that allow me to soldering the components without shaking.

Hope you understand what I need.

Thank you in advance.

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/SE-MZ101-Helping-Hands-Magnifier/dp/B0002BBZ2Y

I got this
(sorry for the french link)
Not cheap but quite good, much better than the commonly found chinese “second hand”

Here is another intermediate option!

@elektrosamplist: The "eleventh finger’ thingy on the Weller one looks really handy for keeping IC sockets in place and that sort of thing. I always seem to be short on hands so I end up supporting the part I’m soldering from the bottom with some object of about the right height propped underneath. This seems much more practical. In your experience, is it?

@ByteFrenzy: it’s still not like having somebody with you that keeps the component in place while you solder but it’s definitely better than nothing.
It’s critical to place and solder the lowest components first, but we’re already used to that.
Another drawback: you can’t work on several parts at once, except if they are the same size and placed side by side, or at least not too far.

Thank you for your answers ByteFrenzy you mean this:http://www.weller.de/products/product.php?pid=810

@vcs3: dont know about ByteFrenzy but the one I linked in my first reply is the non-esd version of the one in your link.
Non ESD one is cheaper.

i thought those might be handy for soldering stuff like ic sockets and such, but no need for that anymore:

i figured out how to use one hand to hold the pcb while the pinky holds the ic socket and the index finger and thumb feed solder - the other hand holds the iron:)
probably looks stupid - but works like a charm

I bought this .
Quite big, so you can do two smaller pcbs at the same time.

Don’t know if this is a Bad Thing to do or not, but I tend to use sticky tape to tape down components on the top of the board before soldering them. I find it helps me keep things neat, and I can solder a number of components (a row of resistors, for example) at the same time.

a|x

Panavise 350 . Last vise you’ll ever buy

I do the sticky tape too, masking tape actually, which is made to be easily removable. Some of these vices and clamps are really expensive, I think it’s time to figure out a DIY solution.

I should probably use masking tape, too. It’s also easier to tear of.

a|x

toneburst, piscione - brilliant thanks for that, good tip. My rows of components can be a bit shaky so I’ll get myself some masking tape. With resistors as they’re first on the board I just tend to place them all, put a piece of card or something over the top, flip the PCB & slide the card out, then solder with the PCB flat on the surface. But they are often mildly wonky. I’ll try the masking tape idea & see if things improve…

I use the masling tape quite a bit. One other trick someone here mentioned is, when soldering larger stuff like DIP sockets, solder one pin on each end, turn the board over to make sure the socket is straight, and then either adjust the pin by re-heating or just solder the rest.

I had been just soldering all of the pins at once, assuming the masking tape was holding everything, but that was not always the case.