„Patch“ storing in a modular world?!

Hi, I appreciate Serge Tcherepnins philosophy and aesthetics on a immediate and „open“ but barely reproducible access in the modular world (great Video on YT https://youtu.be/To_gkk9GEpQ). but damn, I would like to save sometimes „patches“ getting reproducible specific sounds or settings I‘ve worked on hardly on my all digital components like Elements, Plaits, Marbles - as Buchla offers it. what are your thoughts about it?

The patch cables connecting the modules, and being so influential to the resulting sound that the whole thing is called, well, “a patch” aren’t going to be saved anyway. So a solution that would solve only half of the problem is not really worth implementing…

2 Likes

I agree, patch cables are quite an important aspect. But the internal sound capabilities of Plaits, Elements or Clouds are so vast and exciting (many thanks!!!), it would be a great, if specific internal sounds and settings could be saved permanently.

In fact I‘m missing a memory function for internal sounds or settings on all digital modular modules. it‘s quite boring to get lost always your favorite sounds/sounds hardly worked on.

Buchla and Roland (Aira System 1m) showed us how this might work still having a direct and immediate access.

As Voltaires Candide would say „the best of both worlds“. :grinning:

I could see a semi modular where the patch cables simply carry digital signals to indicate from where to where they go. This would allow for patch recall since the actual routing would be internal. Probably quite expensive and prone to signal bleed. Probably best done as a vst.

1 Like

This how the MS20 replica MIDI controller that came with the Korg Legacy Collection VST bundle worked, patching the controller panel routed signals in the VST, which could then be played polyphonically, saved as presets, etc.

1 Like

For me part of the fun is coming up with a new sound, getting inspired by it, recording something with it then moving on.

4 Likes

Check this out!
It’s a digital modular that not only save patches but you can also crossfade between them. Based on Pure Data

1 Like

Not got one (and it doesnt really appeal to me) but this would allow you to do what you want…

1 Like

Hi Don, probably it‘s a misunderstanding (I‘m not very fluent in English :grinning:). I‘m missing a memory function for internal sounds or settings on all digital modular modules. it‘s quite boring to get lost always of your favorite sounds hardly worked on. Buchla and Roland (Aira) showed us how this can work still having a direct and immediate access.

1 Like

Great! Some MI based Modules in pipeline?

Yes it´s great for memorizing the external patching / interfacing of specific modules.

My thinking was you could just connect an offset/attenuator and since plaits and elements have cv over just about everything you’d have control over it.
Another option is to build a new module that interfaces with them over the serial lines (as they are exposed on pin headers) or i2c and mod the code.

1 Like

I‘m not in any way affiliated so I don’t know. But it should be possible considering there are Pure Data versions of MI Modules.

1 Like

I thought on the patch saving problem too.
Saving it automatically is obviously not possible.
I thought at least to write it on paper, and I got to this:
Either you start writing down by a module basis / ins - outs used and where the cables go (what they connect with), then config of knobs and settings, or ->
Take every patch cable, one at a time and note down where from - > where to, then return to the module method above, and note down the used module knob config / settings.
I thought of another section where you could write down what are the most likely knobs / settings that you could play with and explore further in the patch.
I see this as a possibility of restoring few hours (or more) of work to create a patch, as a starting point for further exploration rather than to exactly recreate a sound, which is impossible. You can always only get close to what you did before, never exactly the same thing, which is cool anyway.

Somebody invented an icon system for notation:

Somebody else a “markup language”. Check it out if you think might help:

2 Likes

Hi, this answer might not be the one you could expect, but it’s about saving patch anyway. Since the MI are not menu style modules, I’m not sure there is any interest to build some storage function. But…
The editor of the book “Patch and Tweak” witch is a great tool for understanding and discovering various tools for modular environment, made a web tool for saving your patch as patch notes. You can find it here: http://patchandtweak.com/patch-editor/

1 Like

This is why I like modular, plug or unplug one cable and everything changes :wink:

2 Likes

I view analog modular as more about the etherial, reproducibility is not the goal. At least, it’s not my goal. I’ll record results and might cut them up and use them as samples, but trying to reproduce a patch seems like trying to use a hammer to cut wood instead of a saw.

That said, in the past I have spent some time with a reproducible setup-- not with analog modular, but with MIDI synths and a workstation/sequencer (Cakewalk) with the idea of being able to go from project to project and back to an older project and have the original setup essentially, saved. But I found myself more interested in moving on to new things than going back and re-tweaking old things, so I kind of lost interest in it. Though I do have some old recordings that I might want to re-visit, at this point, while I could reconstruct the old setup and get pretty close to where I was then, I think now I’d be more likely to just use the MIDI sequence and re-orchestrate it, likely using analog modular in combination with MIDI digital synths.

And there are a couple of pin-matrix style patching systems, but that’s not high priority for me, once I’ve “frozen” a patch for a particular sound, I’m not thinking I really want to re-use it in a new context to the extent that I’d be interested in snapshotting the patch to any extent. I may discover new techniques that I’ll try elsewhere, but not in an attempt to recreate the same sound enough to spend any time on it-- I’d rather spend my time discovering new sounds…

3 Likes

Is it possible to use VCV to save your patches? It does not have all the modules but might be useful. It would take some time of course but if its important enough then time could be made.

1 Like

As suggested above, since you are working with Mutable Modules, you could use VCV Rack to save relatively accurate copies of your patches in software. It’s not a completely integrated solution but at least you don’t have to start from scratch when memory fails you…

1 Like

There is also this thread below, if you want to go fully analog in your patch storing, with regard to cable I/O connections. We don’t have them for all modules yet, but it’s a start…

I use this system for the times that I’ve build a very good patch that I might need to get back to when a client asks for revisions or variations…

As an example, here is my sheet for my System 500:

1 Like