Optimizing Sheep for LFO use

Hi guys, i just wanted to humbly ask anyone that has messed with firmware updates, if they could consider this idea, since i spoke with Olivier and he said that it is a feasible thing to implement.

I got the idea after I ordered a few modulators to try, including an e355, Tides, and Batumi.
As i’ve been testing them the organic wave shapes of the e355 are sublime for modulation, but in contrast noticed the PLL mode was killer with built in clock divisions, for coming up with dynamic compositions rapidly. just as i was wondering how great it would be if these merged, i check out the sheep firmware, complete with the wavetables and PLL!

It’s such a great mod, but what i would really love to see, is being able to add the function from the original firmware with the HIGH and LOW tides again, as EOC, or similar clocked pings.

because that is such a beautiful feature of the original tides firmware that really comes handy, especially in comparison to the 1bit output, which seems like it was just added for the sake of not having an empty jack.

so, anyone up for trying that out, as a LFO friendly version of sheep?

no one is using sheep like a wavetable LFO?

Obviously not :wink:

The Modcan Quad LFO is a really great wavetable LFO, and it has gate sync with divisions, so it can do what you’re looking for here. I use my Quad LFO in every single patch, but for pure PLL duties I often prefer Tides due to its smart pattern matching (or Peaks if I just need simple waveforms without divisions).

Well, I had the modcan for a year and sold it. The paging interface didn’t feel natural to me, and those LED’s were hard to tell yellow / orange apart sometimes… but Modcan doesn’t have an EOC out.

I use the High and Low Tide quite a lot in normal FW, so i was simply making a suggestion for changing the 1-bit output back to the original high Tide output because especially at lower frequencies it would be a useful feature for syncing another module.

Hi skyon,
I don’t understand your request: in wavetable mode, there is no notion of attack or decay, so when is the high tide output supposed to get on/off? same question for the low tide output? Plus, if you’re using it in PLL mode, you already have a clock so what do you expect more from a clock output?

hi @mqtthiqs,
i think what i was hoping for is a simple trigger output related to the frequency or clock ratio setting ( in PLL mode) in the same way that the LED’s would blink. using the Sheep at LFO speeds, it would be super handy to have a clock output directly connected to the movement of the frequency / ratio knob, so that when you play with the tide frequency knob, you can also simultanously change the speed on a trigger to something else, much like turning up fill on a grids or QCD.

with tides, i use high and low tide a lot to ping vactrols / vcas for effects, and love having these outputs connected to my use of this module, and it came about naturally after i started using sheep, and wishing i could keep my patch similar as when i used Tides, except using a wavetable instead of AR shape to modulate the same signal.

is that a bit more clear?

Ok, so you want a trigger on “high tide” each time the wave resets, right? What about the “low tide” input? is it ok like it is as a sub oscillator? (which triggers every two times the wave resets)

I think he wants (phase < 0x7fffffff) and ((phase + 0x3fffffff) < 0x7fffffff) (two outputs in quadrature).

All right :slight_smile: Here you go Skyon, this is your update. This is completely untested though, so do tell me if it works or not. Just unzip the .wav file and send it to your module. I also attach the patch described by pichenettes for reference.

sheep quadrature-high-low-tides.patch.zip (711 Bytes)

sheep quadrature-high-low-tides.wav.zip (556.6 KB)

yeah! you are on fire, sir, i just saw the oliverb update. ok, taking a work break for this :slight_smile:

mqtthiqs, it’s really nice already. originally i just suggested changing one of the outputs + keeping the sub oscillator mode, but i i’m getting some very interesting rhythmic variations, i hadn’t even considered a quadrature concept :slight_smile:

i tried to download the second patch file by pichenettes, but it seems like it’s a script not a wav file, did you implement the code in the comment?

the only question is how long are the waveforms? because i’m noticing that when i change frequency, or the clock input from the QCD, sometimes it takes quite a while for the clock changes to take place, and can be confusing as to knowing which setting it’s on. is there any way to make the tide outputs instant, or would that cut off the wave in an unnatural way?

thanks again for doing this, it’s already creating some very interesting results.
i patched each output connected to a peaks, modulating oliverb’s pre delay and density, and also i tried it on the shapefshifter. i think this is going to be a killer modulation when my elements arrives!

The .patch file just contains the code change.

Regarding the time taken to react to a clock change:

• When the audio range is active, it might take a few cycles for the PLL to catch on. That’s how PLL work.
  • When the lower ranges are active, it takes one or two clock cycles depending on how drastic is the change.

Ok, thank you for clarifying. i guess i didn’t notice that perhaps it was a similar behaviour using tides in PLL mode, and that it needed to cycle through to catch on. is this similar timing to how Peaks learns the rhythm pattern? i’d be interested to know if there was a way to make the rhythm change more responsive, right now when i set a new frequency it creates some nice timing and modulation artifacts, but if these came more quickly it would be more predictable in its use.

but again, deep gratitude for helping to bring this idea to life!