Olivier & Art + Music + Technology podcast

Darwin Grosse (from Cycling '74) features Olivier on the latest episode of his Art + Music + Technology podcast (I was in episode 2).

Olivier, you can at least partially blame me for planting your name in Darwin’s head as an interview subject… :wink:

Interesting interview. Well, interesting interviewee. I shan’t comment on the interviewer. Seven new modules planned for 2014, plus a new synth in 2015!

New synth is definitely what caught my ears… :wink:

Just listened to it, very cool and fun to get to know a bit more behind the creative process that developed into MI. Thanks for sharing!

Also didn’t realize a few of these folks are living either in or around my city. Cool.

It’s cool to hear the voice behind these designs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It was a long interview, but there were quite a few interesting points that were brought up.

Really a great interview! I’m more and more amazed every time I know more about how Mutable Instruments came into existance.
It’s great to be part of it somehow, even if it’s just a little part.
Thanks Olivier!

Yes and also thanks for the info about Aaron Lanterman from Georgia Tech. I’m learning a lot from his website.

I finally had time to listen to the whole interview today, it was pretty cool. I am excited for the new full synthesizer; whenever that comes out. If it isn’t a vector synth of sorts, I will be surprised.

@tumble2k: For some reason a lot of those lectures from GA Tech were removed from Blip video. I wonder if they are uploaded any where else?

@audiohoarder: Darn. I was looking forward to soaking my head in them. The other videos were on a Georgia Tech site that itself appears to have been removed. The rest of the material on the site is still very useful. For example, there’s a paper on a digital version of the M0Og ladder as well as data sheets for useful components – that appear in the Ambika schematics!

@tumble2k: It is odd that someone who is as opensource as that lecturer would remove those videos. Most schools would not have a course like that, so having the lectures be open source would make a lot of sense.
There should be some other lectures out there. I would suggest MIT OpenCourseWare as a resource if you haven’t checked it out. It isn’t as nice as having everything already organized in one location, but it may still have some useful information.

@dnigrin Just wanted to add that I really enjoyed the episode with you as well. Great interview! :slight_smile:

Me too… great to know we have MI thanks to the fact that the Iphone is a closed system :slight_smile:

about the Aaron Lanterman Videos:
there is a thread at muff about this seems like the blib.tv site removed the videos.

i also wanted to watch them again after listening to the interview and found out they are gone :frowning:
looks like they might be uploaded again though…

I sent an email to Lanterman, but he hasn’t replied.

Wait, there’s hope that I might have them on an old backup hard drive… though the disk is currently unmounted (I removed it from a computer that went to the recycle bin) - I’ll have to disassemble a USB drive or find someone who has a NAS in which I can put it… Archeology…

@pichenettes Something like http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/266 is really handy for that.

@t2k - thanks!

The Lanterman Lectures are available again, this time on YouTube, at least some (or most?) of them - the 2006 series looks to be complete, and I think just one lecture is missing from the 2008 series. That may be all there are, not sure. Anyway, they are excellent - Lanterman is an engaging 2nd-order nerd, and the lectures are a mixture of interesting general discussion about electronic music, with some cultural references which resonate with those who were at least teenagers in the 1970s or 1980s, together with lots of solid theory, and practice. Even the maths isn’t too hard (at least what I have seen of it so far). Grab them while you can, using a YouTube download utility (there are lots available):

2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83zf8r8xtds&list=PLXnFQqfHz_iEV6EkjumBGEv6O-NMyKyVk

2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge6ds1HM7BE&list=PLXnFQqfHz_iHvvUlt5jV162WUmvnzpoLa&index=2

I watched this one yesterday, and could immediately sense how influential it had been on a certain designer of open-source hybrid synths (and modules). I now have a much better understanding of aliasing, and why digital oscillators and wavetables aren’t quite as simple as they might seem, at least not if they are going to sound any good - I’ll be looking at the Braids code with fresh eyes, having watched that lecture and the one that follows it.

@BennelongBicyclist: Yes! Thanks for letting us know about these being re-uploaded! They are the the best video resource for synthesis.