NTH Synth

Just spotted this on Matrixsynth:
http://nthsynth.wordpress.com/

a|x

Oh no, not another one! :wink:

well the market is getting crowded. But I must say, I liked this one.
It has a couple of interesting features, though not enough to make me want to buy it I admit.
I liked the sound, the fact that it gives you a sequencer with sliders on the unit, a hackme area on the pcb…
Though I was hoping the hackme area was a matrix-style patchbay… like on the EMS synths

yeah I think it’s time for something new… too much “simple monosynth with analog filter and cheap MCU”… hope I won’t disappoint you people with what I am cooking…

for me this is just a nother digital analog synth …
what i need is a real analog synth with midi control …

i lover hardware because of the sound … but i need full midi support for daw integration
what im searching for is a midi controler board to control e.g the doefer analog diy synth :slight_smile: … this will be nice … a real analog synth :slight_smile: … but i only found diy analogsynth without full midi support

lg widy

> what im searching for is a midi controler board to control e.g the doefer analog diy synth :slight_smile: … this will be nice … a real analog synth :slight_smile: … but i only found diy analogsynth without full midi support

You won’t find such boards. The Doepfer thing, like many project, is not designed to be controllable. Making an analog synth is easy and cheap. Making it with full VC control (rather than a hardwired pot) over all parameters is horribly complex.

>“yeah I think it’s time for something new… too much “simple monosynth with analog filter and cheap MCU”… hope I won’t disappoint you people with what I am cooking…”<

If it’s a complex polysynth with multiple digilog filters and an expensive and powerful multi-core MCU then I’ll take two please!

I think the NTH sounds great too but think the remaining available pledge for a complete box ($400) is a little too high for my liking. When I say ‘oh no, not another one’ I mean ‘oh no, not another cool little DIY box of tricks calling my name seductively’ :slight_smile:

It only comes assembled :frowning:

I like the sequencer but the sound seem “chippy”, I’m only judging by the video though…

@pichenettes, whatever you’re making, i want it :slight_smile:

@pichenettes. I can’t wait for curiosity. How long?
P.s. My mates get crazy with my first shruthi controlling doepfer Dark energy. Really big mess with two voices different but very cool toghether.
Marco

Has anyone checked Greg Surges new pages
or Tom Scarff’s stuff? Octomod- USB 2 CV control.
another CV box -
http://burnit.co.uk/sdiy/index.php?page=fatcontroller

Hmmm…

No Midi or other no input device for tonal play, limited sonic range… its more of a DroneNoiseSounddesign Thingy as an Instrument?

EDIT: Oh, it has MIDI…but nobody seems to want to use it? And it has a whooping capability of 16 Different Amp Envelopes - beats clearly the Shruthis overly complex 260144641 possible Envelopes. But enough nitpicking - i love the Faders!

EDIT2: “Waveforms” and “Envelopes” get reversed when the Sequencer is reversed ???!?

@pichenettes: I’m sure you will make something that will leave no space for “yes… but” comments!

@randy909 yes it is really chippy. I think they intended it to sound like that. Though you can probably make it sounds less chippy by turning down the filter a bit more. I think the demo video shows more the chippy sound of the synth

It has MIDI. After watching the video I suspect the analog filter is a simple Sallen-Key with no voltage control (= no tracking, envelopes, LFOs on its cutoff).

@pichenettes: Well in fact the video presents the filter as: “oh… and there is a filter too” so it does not sound like they put a lot of effort into it…

Yeah, they said it was Sallen-Key on their site. No env->cutoff? That means you can’t even make it go EEOOOWWW. A synth that can’t go EEOOOWWWW, well, that’s just not right!

Oh nooooo… I find it extremely deceptive, somehow it’s “cheating”, dodging the part count / complexity / of a proper VCF. Just like listing “analog filter” in the feature list of a digital-only synth with a fixed-cutoff anti-aliasing filter after the DAC.

The Sallen-Key design looks - at least to my limited knowledge - just like a RC Circuit with an OpAmp as a Voltage Folower…

THis thingie has Cutoff/Resonance Pots, but i don’t get how they Shift the Cutoff Frequency with a fixed Cap Value…

@fcd72:

The frequency of the RC can not only be set by the C, but also by the R.

i guess they use a potentiometer :wink:

well this Sallen-Key filter really looks simple! I could build one myself! In fact I think I will, but I know nothing about OpAmps, are there different types?
If I want to change the cutoff freqency, would I substitute one of the resistors? like R1?

Any op-amp can do for that. You need to put a log pot in place of R1 or R2.