NOOB questions re: EARS

Ok, will watch the video and pay extra attention to the A&R-times. Thanks!

A three way switch would be nice. But I’m not sure if that is possible without having to modify the module.

Because two settings are jumperless, I don’t think it’s possible to make a connection for those settings. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

The website doesn’t mention if these are 2 positions (ON-ON) switches, or 3 positions (ON-off-ON) switches. In the former case, you’ll only get two settings, but in the latter you’ll get the 3 options since in the middle position, the switch won’t make any contact and it’ll be equivalent to not have any jumper in place.

Good catch! The online manual is correct. I’ll have the quickstart manual fixed!

Here are the time constants (the time it takes for the envelope to reach 63% of its goal). Multiply by 3 to get the time taken to reach 95%.

Decay:

• fast: 10ms
  • medium: 80ms
  • slow: 430ms

Attack:

• fast: 2ms
  • medium: 16ms
  • slow: 100ms

Thanks! The first part I understand now.

Had to read about times for three times. As far as I understand, the envelope must then be exponential. Correct?

Yes. We’re talking here about the time constant of an RC filter - which has a different time constant depending on whether the difference between the input and output is positive or negative.

1 Like

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

From a functional point of view I understand the difference between logarithmic and exponential curves (in what way it can affect sound).

Interested in how it technically works.
I’ll do some reading about RC-filters.

Learned a new word… “tau”

5 posts were split to a new topic: Ears’ gate output

Is anyone able to confirm a usable (commercially available) passive switch module that can bring the functionality of the Ears jumpers to the front for ease of experimentation?

Unfortunately no. I want to order two utility modules at Ladik in a week or two. I’ll ask if the switches are threeway switches. If so, I’ll order the switches too. I’ll let you know…

That would be great . Thanks

I sent Ladik an email and they are 2 position switches… so they won’t work.

Anybody know of a 3-position passive switch that would work with ears.

Alternatively, I could diy one, but I have no idea where to start? Any suggestions? (My experience level is that I have soldered guitar patch cables and that’s it.)

You need an on-off-on (3 position) switch, SPDT (or DPDT, just ignore half of the pins). Each pin of the switch connected to one of the 3 pins of Ears.

https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/7103SYZBE/?qs=C4UUOezh8MTFEwJmkFTBUA%3D%3D

1 Like

[quote=“pichenettes, post:29, topic:14760”]
SPST
[/quote

Can I just confirm: do I need SPST or SPDT?

The SPST seem to have two pins.

Thanks.

SPDT, fixed!

Thanks for asking!

I’ve ordered the parts. It seems like they will be very easy and inexpensive to build. Parts will take quite a while to get here. When they do I’ll take some photos and report back with how it all goes.

The parts arrived today. I can confirm that this is the easiest of diy projects… plug in three connectors, solder three ends to the switch… done. The hardest part is drilling a blank panel to house the switch. I’d give it a 1/10 difficultly rating.

As for the practical results: its is not a game-changer but definitely a useful addition for changing things up live or a convenience factor for anyone who changes the jumpers regularly.

3 Likes

My foray into Eurorack started with a very small case with two EARS modules, an MI Clouds, and an output module. Clouds was the core of what I was interested in exploring, and the two ears allowed me to feed in stereo audio from external sources into it. I also noted that given the Ears modules had gate and envelope capability, that would be useful as modulation sources for feeding into Clouds as well.

What ended up happening is I immediately found it interesting and inspiring and decided I wanted to delve further into Eurorack. I’ve since expanded to 7 rows of 104HP of modules, many of them which are MI modules, including three Clouds. Though I don’t use all three of the Clouds together in the same piece, the main reason I have three is those 7 rows are divided into 3 separate racks and each one needs to have a few basics, such as a Clouds, a Pamela’s, an output stage and one or more mixers.

Clouds can be a lot of things, not only via the basic granularization features but the fact that it can alternatively be configured as a pitch shifter and/or delay module and several other things useful in audio processing.

But a Rings also has a lot of promise for feeding in external audio, so that’s probably the next place I would look.

View of the wiring for the six switches (ie: two ears).