Non-release(s), august 2015, november 2015

Never went very far on this (no proto ever built), but here’s how it was supposed to work…

CLOCK to step through a sequence.
SEED to change the value at the current step to a new random value.
MUTATE to randomize the value at all steps.

RANGE is the voltage range - can be changed on the fly to spread the notes in the sequence.
SHIFT transposes the sequence.
QUANTIZE is a variable range quantizer. No quantization fully CCW, only octaves fully CW, notes are removed from the scale inbetween in a meaningful order. RANGE and SHIFT are applied before the quantizer.
LENGTH is the loop length.

Trigger inputs for the buttons, CV inputs for the knobs.

When AUX is patched, the voltage read there replaces the random value that is sampled whenever SEED is pressed/triggered.

OUT1 outputs the main CV, OUT2 can be one of several things: OUT1 with a time lag, an harmony, or a second random stream (3 little icons were to be drawn on the panel instead of OUT2 MODE).

The encoder + mini display is for selecting and editing a scale.

STM32F1, DAC8552, MCP3202.

I love info like this. Very interesting. Thanks!
Is it kinda like a Turing machine?
I vaguely recall you mentioning something like this before when someone else spoke of a similar module that came out a year or 2 ago (I forget which it was now)
What made you scrap the idea? Could it potentially be brought to life in something like VCVrack? (I would guess lack of time is the issue there!?)

[edit] This was the post/module I was thinking of: Factor oracles FTW!

You could emulate it with a Turing machine, S&H, shift register, quantizer. Closest relative would be the Kilpatrick K7.

Can this specific feature set be seen as a special patch/configuration of something bigger that could also implement other ideas? Can this functionality be achieved from 2 or 3 modules which would be in themselves deeper?

maybe 15% or 20% of the work involved in making a real module, 0% of the benefits.

Cute! :star_struck:

It is cute! Love the individual attenuverters for Timbre and Color! Gotta say though, I like the full-size Braids just fine. Shrinking modules, while hip and perhaps practical, is not sexy…maybe cute though. Thanks for sharing!

Haha we had the idea of a mini-braids before everybody started making these! :smiley:

I like the idea for the quantiser function.

a|x

I notice the mini Braids still has a dot-matrix-style display. Do you plan on adding OLED displays to any future modules, @pichenettes?

a|x

Anything that resembles a Music Thing Modular Turning Machine would be a welcome make. This almost looks like a controllable Turning Machine with extras, which I would be most interested in purchasing. Two outputs, nice. A 1v/Oct and CV out would make it nicer, but that may be there under fancy names…

There is this : http://www.twohp.com/modules/tm

Hihi. Those 2hp modules do feel a bit like we reached peak eurorack… :wink:

I keep telling the guys at 2hp they should make miniature cases for their systems because no manufactured case has a power supply density capable of using ONLY 2hp modules. Little bonsai eurorack cases, now that would be cute!

Seriously though, I do appreciate that modules as deep as MI modules have a little width to them, patching and performing is a little less of a nightmare. Although it is possible to go too far in the opposite direction and have too much open space, my main complaint with Qu-bit.

I think the 2HP modules are useful for filling in the small gaps you can get in a rack.

Yeah they are perfect for that. Personally speaking I wouldn’t want an entire system of 2hp or 3hp modules though… It would be too fiddly for me.

It would be easy enough to make a compact system with them if you wanted though. Doepfer make a couple of tiny cases that you could pack them into. Power supply & available bus board sockets allowing…
On the subject of bus board sockets, I recently mentioned in another thread the DIY Bastl Bus boards. They are great if you have lots of smaller modules, as they have 20 sockets in the same space as Doepfers 14… They are also designed to be ‘snapped’ into smaller boards too if you wanted. They also have an additional 5 volt regulator.

Sorry for the slight derail! But we’re used to that around here, right? :wink:

Any more of these for us Olivier?!

Or maybe the Quantermain app in Ornament and Crime, which does 4 channels of this, or the Meta-Q app, which does two channels plus gate/triggers out, or the CopierMaschine app, which does the same with lagged output. All those have CV control over the various parameters o fetch built-in Turing Machines, including the controls over the quantisation. The O&C apps don’t have automatic note removal from scales, but you can manually remove/mask notes from scales, and in the Meta-Q app, you can even sequence different scales with different note masks.

Anyway, great minds… :smirk:

Seeds is interesting, I do think it’s something that would be better split into two modules, a sequencer and a quantizer, so that the quantizer functionality could be used with other signals. Or, I suppose having a separate input to the quantizer functionality that is normalled to the sequencer output. You also then wouldn’t necessarily need a range or shift control on the module, since those could be implemented externally with a VCA / offset module / DC mixer, etc.

Yup. But I’d rather build another MTM Turning machine over the 2HP. I have a couple of 2HP modules and small knobs tend to drive me crazy. Building an Erica Synths Swamp this week. Built a Synthrotek RND recently. Not a bad little module.

So you are telling me to get an Ornament and Crime?

Music Thing Modular Turing Machine + Ornament and Crime = endless Fun!

I can wholeheartly recommend the o_C. It’s really really awesome, especially if you have 4 VCOs so you can enjoying full polyphony.

Finally a justification for having 4 VCO’s!