Non-Musical Endeavors

I just got this in the mail. I believe this is my first “kit” that is not music related. Pretty excited to get this built!

A lot of the talk here is centered around musically related kits and builds in and out of the shruthiverse™. I was curious what some other people are building here. Are you into anything that is in a “kit” or pcb only form? Do you build other devices to help tame the soldering addiction (as I am doing with this clock.) If so, what are you building? Share photos/links/thoughts, please!

Now that I think about it, well, check me on this:

Transformers work the same way right? Two coils that are not physically connected. The electrical current in one generates magnetic waves that interact with the magnetic waves of the other coil. Depending upon the number of winds and how the coils are designed, a coil of smaller voltage can induce much higher voltage in a nearby coil with more winds. Am I on track so far?

So each nixie piece must have a very densely wound coil to be able to produce the required 180V from the induction. The coil under the board is probably much weaker, but physically large to encompass the entire board. What is transmitted between them, if I am on the right track, is therefore magnetic waves. And nothing happens until another coil is brought within “cutting” distance of the coil under the board.

It sounds like the potential for shocks would come from the wiring inside the nixie chess piece or inside the components under the board, not from the space in between the two separate coil sources.

How did I do?

The magnets in my Ipad cover didn’t heat up all that much when held a few centimeters above the induction hob. It would be a very different thing if I let it lay directly on top of the glass…

Édit: without putting something conductive near the thing it is very save, i guess.

This is how i understand this: (as always this is only my noobish opinion) When it is done by induction, the power is transmitted by a magnetic field which induces a current into a coil in the base of the chess nixies. If you put a ring of conductive material into the magnetic field, a current gets induced and the ring gets hot. It probably depends on how it is done exactly, if it is save. This is the same way a electric toothbruth charges (which is save i guess). i imagine to get the right current for the nixies much more power is needet. And the induction thing is much more intense. If you have seen, how the getter in a tube is activated, you can imagine how hot you can get things this way…

This has blown the neonixie list apart. No one has ever seen anything like this apparently. Even the grizzled veterans are awestruck…

@loderbast Is there some way of picking up the current/voltage when taking the pieces on or off? At that moment, would something conductive nearby be a problem, like a ring on your finger? Serious question.

WOW!

Oh la la! Do want.

Whats next? A TV made of Nixies?

Would make kick-ass traffic lights, none of that low-power LED stuff. They would probably work fine after WW3.

@titus: better not wear metal rings on your finger while playing…

For those of you following the adventures nixie, check out what this guy invented. Is this not the amazing use of nixie tubes ever? He’s brilliant… The board uses induction to give the nixies the 180 volts they need. I wonder if it’s completely safe?

Lasermad.com

Here’s a more modern version:

Which is obviously the Uniblab.

{Insert here my favorite Gordon Ramsey Quote} whats this? FluxCapacitor 2.0?

Anybody want a Mercury Arc Rectifier? Here’s the auction.

Edit: It has been noted that this picture in the auction is identical to the picture in the wiki article… so it’s probably a scam. But interesting anyway.

If you could get it working, it would look like THIS!

yeah i have plenty of ECC81 82 83, PL21 and the milspec variant, some 6BN6, rectifiers, and some others i can’t remember now, from Eric Barbour’s Audio Synthesis via Vacuum Tubes article
that’s actually how i came to sdiy, dreaming of building a tube synth, then realising that i better start with low voltages first and understand things, and then stuck in many oh many projects *cough …in boxes

Awesome. Plenty to build with or to sell to purchase what you want to build. Either way, you win. Congrats!

Several years ago I planned to do the same thing. I had a kit selected and purchased a bunch of the required tools. Then I lost interest and those tools went mostly unused until I came here.

Btw, autocorrect on the New IPad is fucking worthless. Like Siri.

fcd72: believe me you don’t want to know.
Titus: i’m afraid i threw them in that box in 2009. they’re not in the box with the tubes for the Barbour project. there’s a small chance, but i have to really dig in a pile of everything imaginable (workplace in the garage, you can’t even see the boxes… i’ll have a look)

@rosch: thanks for checking. I really appreciate it! It would be so cool if some of them turned up. You probably already know this but any tubes that can be used in guitar amps are worth good money: 6L6, EL34, 12A*7 etc. Pull those out too if you find any. Good money to be made there. Rectifier tubes are rare as well but I know nothing about them…

@rosh - That’s too good to be true. Tell me you still have them?

BTW, if you buy Juergen’s single tube kit, you can swap tubes, even different types of tubes with different pinouts, at will. He designed this rotating wheel with different sockets and connectors. Ingenious.

On the stereo two-tube version it’s slightly more complicated. You have to make a decision about which family of tube you want to install and then commit to that family. You can change the tube for new ones easily as they’re socketed, but you can’t install tubes of a different type without installing a new wheel board as the one you were provided with has been customized for a specific kind already.

But new wheel boards are like 6eu+shipping with all parts (very few parts). So it’s not inconceivable to have four boards around for all possible combinations. Switching tube types involves removing four screws and swapping the disc.

Typical of Juergen’s design work. Really really cool.

Anyway I digress with a small explanation.