No MIDI - 6N137 looks good... [SOLVED]

hey, its way easier to whip out a magnifier and read a small number than to interpret someones threshold on where brown becomes red

FWIW This mistake might actually explain some of the unresolved “MIDI Not Working” issues we’ve seen.

exactly my point…

This is the reason why i measure every resistor nowadays, before i solder them…

Part of the problem is that the main colour of the metal film resistor is a dark blue colour. The way our eyes work can cause issues reading them. There’s plenty of examples of optical illusions on the web and many of them use colour.

The cheap carbon resistors are much easier to read.

I check every R, C and D component before adding it to the PCB with this super handy tool. Does not take much time but saves a lot of frustration:

Looks pretty useful. What’s the price for it ?

Personally i stock my Resistors in dedicated drawers. If you are disciplined and always put them right back after uses you don’t need to check every time thus you become a lightspeedsolderer.

£42 UKP-ish

I just keep my resistors in the little bags they came in.

Possibly Frank, but i had 2 deliveries in the near past from the big R, where these idiots mixed up parts in wrong labeled bags. The delivery in whole was complete, but not corresponding to the labels .. So you need to measure at least before putting them into the drawers…and i have kids and a wife “helping” me to keep order in my “Kemenate der Glückseligkeit” !

In Soviet Russia resistors had printed values :slight_smile:

I had a few electronic toys from Soviet Russia, like intercom and yes, resistors inside had printed values.

Precision resistors have printed text on them too.

You can easily make a temporary resistance measurometer by attaching your regular measurometer to a female stacking pinheader with some clip leads.

I refuse to learn the colour codes. Usually I’m fine with being geeky, but a line has to be drawn somewhere

Aww come on! The color coding isn’t that hard: 0-9 is Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Gray, White. There, this was from memory.

Color codes were great when the average resistor was 2cm long and 5mm diameter. Now you need a halogen spot and a 25x jewelers loupe to see the difference between redbrownred and brownbrownblack. And coupled with reducing a resistor to the size of a rice grain they somehow also thought it would be an even better idea if they squeezed in an extra color band.

Haha, point taken. I like the old tropical fish capacitors too. These days it will soon be easier to fit some kind of passive RFID tag inside passive components for remote reading out of the value etc.

I’d settle for a good barcode or QR code. I had no problems reading carbon resistors years ago. But metal film are too dark, I guess you need to read them under a spot light.

Many men (more so than women usually) have colour vision issues and often undiagnosed, so colours aren’t the best way to indicate a component value. That combined with adjacent colours which results in the brain doing weird things.