New to Frames, cant make a Frame sequence

So I am trying to do the simplest thing, as described in the manual. I route the output of 2 oscillators into inputs 1 and 2. I monitor the mix out. I erase any previously recorded frames by a long press on the DEL button. he Frames knob goes red. I turn the frames knob to the counter clockwise position. the leds below the top row knobs go all blinken. I push the add button and set mix values for channel 1 and 2. frames knob stays red. I move the Frames knob and press add again. I set up a different mix on the mix knobs 1 and 2. Now when i push add for the 3rd time, the frames knob goes purple. As there is no mention anywhere about what the changing of the Frames knob colour to purple actually means, i have no idea. Now when I try to scan through my different frames using the knob, nothing happens. I must be doing something wrong in the sequence of programming things. The manual doesnt bring any clarity… please help

> the leds below the top row knobs go all blinken

Can you record a video?

Did you buy your module new or second-hand?

You have the Parasite alternative firmware installed. What you describe is its normal behavior (which differs from the stock firmware, since it adds functions). In particular when you press DEL for a long time, it allows you to either erase all frames (you have to hit DEL again), or load one of 4 memory slots. You can either read the documentation of the Parasite here, or revert to the stock firmware.

many thanks for your replies I bought it 2nd second hand, so there is a good possibility that parasites is installed. phew, i thought i had a faulty module. Will try to figure out using the Parasites documentation. If i recall correctly, with the parasites firmware installed, all the original functionality remains intact right? And only the way it has to be programmed differs slightly?

> all the original functionality remains intact right? And only the way it has to be programmed differs slightly?

all your interrogations are answered in great detail in the documentation :slight_smile:

Thanks. The only problem is i don’t see how to put Frames into ‘normal’ mode. It probably requires a push-button combination, but in the parasites documentation i don’t see any direct explanation on how to access the stock functionality. Maybe it would be wise for me to install the original firmware first, get to know the module and then install parasites again (unless it is easy to access original functionality?). I suppose I can get the original firmware here https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack ? Do I need to download the zip file of all of these (because i cant see how to select just one folder)? Is the install procedure exactly the same as the one described for parasites firmware?

> The only problem is i don’t see how to put Frames into ‘normal’ mode.

Easy: press both buttons at the same time, wiggle the big knob a bit (all 4 green LEDs must be off and the big knob white(ish)) and press one of the two buttons again. You’ll be in the default, keyframer mode.

> Maybe it would be wise for me to install the original firmware first, get to know the module and then install parasites again

Yes, that’s what I usually recommend.

> I suppose I can get the original firmware here https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack ?

No, that’s where you find the source code, but you’d need to compile it, which takes significant effort. What you’re looking for is the .wav file for the stock firmware. I don’t think Olivier has that somewhere, but I vaguely remember uploading it on the MuffWiggler thread about Frames Parasite, for people like you who want to revert to the stock firmware. Search for a message from me with an attachment there.

Here, maybe? http://mutable-instruments.net/static/firmware/

Yep you’re right: http://mutable-instruments.net/static/firmware/frames_1.1.wav

superb, thanks for the help guys!

ok, installed the original firmware, back to my original question. Trying to do exercise 1 in the manual: using the big frame knob to interpolate between 2 sound sources plugged into inputs 1 and 2.

I did exactly like the manual describes: set osc 1 (input 1) at full level and osc 2 silent for the leftmost position of the big frames knob, set osc 2 (input 2) to max level and osc 1 silent for the fully clockwise position. For the sake of the exercise, I set osc 2 an octave higher than osc 1

What happens when i turn the frames knob from the leftmost position to the rightmost position: fully counterclockwise, i get osc 1 only (good), as i turn frames knob to 12 o’clock osc 1 slowly goes to silence (i would expect a 50/50 mix of the 2 oscillators at 12 o’clock, and as i am approaching 12 o’clock, i would expect to start hearing osc 2 in the mix, but i only hear osc 1 slowly going to silence), as i turn from 12 to full clockwise there is total silence between 12 o’clock and 2h (-ish), then between 2 and 3 o’clock i start hearing only oscillator 1 fade in again, and only in the last quarter of the range the mix crossfades from osc 1 to osc 2. full clockwise only osc 2 is heard.

EDIT: ok, retried it a couple of times, if i follow the manual i hear a single osc on the far outer positions of the frame knob, but it still gradually goes to silence in the middle. Then I added a frame in the 12 o clock position with a 50/50 mix and now i get the behaviour i was looking to get. Although according to the manual, i shouldnt need to make a 50/50 mix in the middle to get this behaviour?

Sounds like something to do with the interpolation/response curves for the channel(s).

From the manual:

Channel settings

Hold the ADD button for one second to edit the interpolation curve used for each channel. The 4 gain knobs adjust the interpolation curve for each channel. While a knob is turned, the corresponding interpolation curve is visualized through the illumination pattern of the FRAME knob. The 6 available interpolation curves are: step (no interpolation), linear, accelerating, decelerating, smooth departure/arrival (raised cosine), and bouncing. Press the ADD button when you are done.

Hold the DEL button for one second to edit the response curve used for each channel. The 4 gain knobs adjust the response curve, from linear to exponential. While a knob is turned, the corresponding interpolation curve is visualized through the illumination pattern of the FRAME knob.

REVIVER, many thanks for your reply! I only found a quickstart guide to download, where can I get the manual you have this info from?

http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/frames/manual

So going on this info, i set all the curves to linear. When manuall crossfading i notice this gives me a bit of a volume dip in the middle when both oscillators are mixed together at roughly equal levels, and as i move the frame knob to the farmost positions (respectively mix containing ch.1 or ch.2 only), the level raises a good bit. I suppose the fix is to alter the curves, but i am unsure which curves to use… I know for crossfading to result in an evenly percepted level, logarithmic curves are normally used in DAWs. But this option doesnt seem to be included in the curves calibration?

Also, even with everything set to linear curves, I am wondering about the following. When I set up a basic 2-channel crossfading mix, I get what i expect when manually turning the knob, albeit with that level dip in the middle. When I feed a linear LFO signal from Maths 2 to the Frame modulation input, i only get channel 2 completely isolated at the highest voltage coming from the LFO. When I feed the LFO into the frames input, i have the frame knob set to 12 o’clock, to allow for modulation in both directions. The highest positive voltage of the LFO gives me channel 2 only, which i would expect. But the lowest voltage from the LFO does NOT give me channel 1 / osc 1 by itself, channel 2 is always present in the mix. So it almost seems like there is a DC offset in my LFO signal, which makes that the full counterclockwise position can never be reached but rather is lifted to a higher position by a ghost DC offset. Time to call the modular exorcist, or is there another explanation?

The exact same thing happens when i set up a pan left-right patch.The upper row knob leds are not equally bright in the 12 o’clock position (right led on channel 2 brighter) and the signal on the stereo out track i am feeding from Frames’ outputs 1 & 2 is lopsided to the right. When I turn the frame knob manually, i get the feeling that the left half of the rotation generates a concave/logarithmic curved modulation of the VCA’s. This in spite of the fact that i calibrated all vca curves to linear… The ‘equal power’-point, where both leds are equally lit and the level of the VCA’s is even is at about 9:30

bump